47G Cleanup Crew

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by jamesonuk, Jun 30, 2016.

1. jamesonuk

jamesonukValued MemberMember

I currently have a 180L (~47G) tank which is reasonably well planted and stocked with

10 x Dwarf Rainbowfish
    12 x Black Neon Tetra
    5 x Sterbai Cory (current plan is to add another 5 this weekend)

My original plan was to add a centrepiece fish like a Pearl Gourami but I am kind of happy as it is and was thinking I might be better with a cleanup crew. There is not a huge amount of algae but there is a covering on some of the leaves and pebbles.

I don't really fancy a BNP but wondering on whether I could should consider
    • 3? Otos
    • 5 Japonica Shrimp
    • 1 SAE

If I don't have too much algae is it worth it?? (I guess the shrimp would clean up more than just algae?) Will any of these actually eat the plants I have?

Will they fit in with the other fish?

2. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Are you open to snails? I love my nerite; he pigs out on all my algae and doesn't touch my plants.

3. OP
    OP
    jamesonuk

jamesonukValued MemberMember

Kind of ;)

I have some pond snails that snuck in with my Amazon Swords :( I have managed to keep them to under 10 but would prefer if there were not there. Do Nerites breed like crazy?

4. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Not in freshwater as far as I know!

5. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Sounds like diatoms which should go away on its own. But if you don't have too much, i wouldn't get more fish to try and fix the problem. They'll just add more to the bioload. Otos and SAE's need to be in a group of 6+. Also, SAE's can get up to 6 inches.

I agree that if you want something to help a little, a couple of nerite snails are the way to go and the eggs they lay will not hatch in freshwater.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice