46g Community - Centerpiece Suggestions?

1. Jenova

Jenova Valued Member Member

Howdy all! I'm planning a community for a 46g bowfront, and am looking for ideas for a few "centerpiece" fish to go with the stock I plan to move over.

Capacity: 46g
    pH: 8.0
    Substrate: pool filter sand

Planned stocking so far:
    - 4 smallish male swordtails (they are adults, and are no bigger than male platys, minus the swords of course)
    - 4 yoyo loaches

I'm looking to round this out with something interesting :D
    I would love to add a pair/trio of blue rams (once the tank is aged a bit) if they would work with the loaches (I've seen mixed results in my research so far), but I'm open to other suggestions :) Thanks in advance!

2. tetratetris

tetratetris Valued Member Member

Blue rams would be cool.

Other ideas could be: (although not limited to)

Angelfish
    Gourami/s (Love the dwarf gourami and, you could also get a little group of honey gourami, maybe a singular pearl gourami if temp compatimbkl, to many choices)
    Maybe killifish

I don't have many on my mind but an idea is to go on liveaquira and look at what they have of ideas

I'd add a school of red tail catfish, they only get about 60"

JK :)

3. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Your pH is a little high for Angelfish. Are you going to cycle the tank without fish1st?

4. OP
    OP
    Jenova

:D It frightens me when I see those in pet stores...
    I'd thought about one or two gouramis, too :) I'm familiar with bettas but not with gouramis… needs a bit more research :D

Hopefully cycling will be minimal, since I can take the media from the tank the swordies and loaches are in. Given that the cycled media can handle those fish now, I'd make sure the new tank cycle was stable before trying to add anyone else, but I don't expect much trouble on that front.

I actually have a lot of angelfish right now, in other tanks -- but I have almond leaves in their tanks for tannins to bring the pH down. Still, 8.0 isn't a dealbreaker for tank-raised angels. I was more concerned with possible nipping from the loaches. (The biggest loach likes to play tag with the other fish in the tank... :p )

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The pH is fine. I wouldn't mess with it. pH really isn't an issue with tank-raised fish.

6. OP
    OP
    Jenova

Yeah, given the hassle of trying to artificially alter pH, not to mention the danger of a pH crash/spike, I prefer to be lazy about it, and just drip-acclimate everybody when they get here. :emoji_grin:

After a bunch of reading in the past couple of days, I think I'm going to set my sights on something like:

- 4 swordtails
    - 4 yoyo loaches
    - 1 pearl gourami
    - 6-8 Celebes rainbowfish

Would love some of the bigger rainbowfish, but the tank's only 36" long, so that's not great for big active schooling fishies.