(46G) Arranging Around a Danio?

1. Seiferre Initiate Member

HELLO EVERYONE. :3

It's been a long time since I posted in this part of the forum. I recently adopted a "boil" victim from my family. She's a zebra danio and the only one left of her school, which my cousin kind of killed off by accident >>;; She is a year old, and instead of buying new fish for her to be with, they left her alone in the 20G that they bought. I felt bad, so I asked if they would like me to take her and they agreed, since they didn't really know what else to do with her.

My original stocking plan was:

5 Kuhli Loaches
    6 Cherry Barbs
    6 Gold Pristella Tetras
    1 BN Pleco
    2 German or Bolivian Rams

I DON'T have 4/6 of the Cherry Barbs (I for some reason have bad luck with keeping the females... They have died on me twice, but the males are fine), and I have been too scared to invest in either German or Bolivian Rams because I've frankly been afraid to lose money if they die. If I am to adopt this new Danio into the tank "family", she would need at least five more to keep her comfortable, and I would like to "replenish" the Cherry Barb count back to six, instead of the remaining two.

If I'm to do that, what changes would you make to the plan? Is that overstocked? Should I leave the two male Barbs to their own devices, or should I stick with my orignal plan and buy four more?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

In a 46 (a bowfront?), you could certainly keep the schools in larger numbers. The kuhlis ought to be kept in a larger school to encourage them to be more active. And in my experience the cherry barbs do better in an evenly split larger school as well. If it were my tank I would have 12 of each of the schools. 8 would be a minimum.

Bolivian rams are much much hardier than the GBRs, so I'd definitely go with them. Petsmart has started carrying them.

If you were to get the zebra danio, then I would get 10 of each, and 8 would still be the minimum.

However, I don't think your filtration can handle that kind of bioload. In my opinion the penguin 200 is inadequate for a tank than size, even at the numbers you proposed. I know they say that the filters can handle a tank of whatever size, but that is grossly over rated. I was not impressed with the filter. I wouldn't spend another dollar on fish until I augmented or upgraded the filtration, since the filtration is a prerequisite for the additional (and current) fish.

3. Seiferre Initiate Member

Yep, it's a bowfront.

Thanks for the reply~ In a tank this size I'm never really sure what the numbers would look like; if I'm to go along with your proposed numbers, would they have enough swimming space? I'm always worried about that because it just seems like they'd be cramped. But hey, you're the expert. :3

Would you recommend an upgrade, or a different type of filter altogether? I'm considering buying a new one simply because this one is beginning to stop at random, so I was thinking of supplementing it with another or just replacing it altogether.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The fish all occupy different regions of the tank. The danios will stay in the top part of the tank, and the loaches will stay on the bottom. The barbs and tetras will swim around the middle of the tank. Too, they all have different styles. Danios are fairly maniacal, so it's a good thing that they primarily stay near the surface. The barbs are pretty laid back and will just kind of mill around, with males displaying for each other and for females. The same goes for most tetras.

As I look at my tank with neons, I count 10 in the school ATM, and they aren't occupying more than 3 gallons of water (a bout 3% of the tank). You can fit more schooling fish than you could individual fish because the schooling fish use less water. Also, the size matters. the school of 7 congo tetras are occupying about 20 gallons of water (almost 20% of the tank).

I saw a stocking guide that I actually agreed with the other day - said the tank should have 25% of the fish in the top of the tank, 50% in the middle, and 25% on the bottom. It is a small fish guide, and one that I basically follow though I just read it the other day.

A fish that swims the middle of the tank has a lot more room to swim. Topwater and bottom dwellers are more limited to the footprint of the tank, which is why you can't have too many because they will be on top of one another.

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Jaysee, that is the best I have heard that explained yet.

I agree on more khulis as well, I have 12 or something like that (Who can count those buggers anyways) in my 75gal and they are always out and about having a good time.

I would think your current stocking list plus the danios would be an ok move. Up your schools a little bit as well and you will be ok just do it slowly.

I also agree that while that filter says it can handle the tank you should really have about 10 tank turnovers per hour with an HOB filter. In a 46 galling tank that would be around 460 GPH. If you like a nice full tank then you need to go up a little more in your filtration capabilities or use multiple filters. The filtration numbers we talk about is a SUM of filtration for the tank, not EACH filter on the tank. I would leave the filter you have now in place (I'm not a big fan of them either btw) and add something to help bring your filtration levels up to a more conducive number.