465 Gallon Pond Filtration And Stocking Important

1. Eden5903 Member Member

Hi everyone. I am going to build a 465 gallon or 1760 litre above ground pond and I was wondering if two Sunsun HW-304B's and a Sunsun HW-302 will be able to support:
    - 1 Tiger Oscar
    - 1 Green Terror
    - 1 Jack Dempsey or Flower horn
    - 5/6 Clown Loaches

It will be 60in x 30in x 60in. The HW-304B's have a 9W UV bulb each and turn over 525 gallons/2000 litres an hour each and the HW-302 doesn't have a UV bulb but turns over 1100 litres/290 gallons an hour. It's a total of 5100 litres or 1347 gallons of water an hour. There is going to be a fountain pump in the middle but it won't filter the water and I don't know how many litres/gallons of water it will pump per hour.

This is a big project for me and any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a great day/night
    - Eden

2. SFFishSticks Member Member

You need to look into pond filtration systems not indoor canister solutions. A skimmer and waterfall return, submersible, etc. they're much lower maintenance designed to take care of debris, appropriate flow rates, etc.

3. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Two canisters won't work with that large amount of water. Some people run 3 canisters to run a 125-220g tanks.

Agree with @SFFishSticks that you will need to look at a pond set up not a indoor setup.

4. Brian Rodgers Member Member

Howdy and welcome.
    465 gallon aquarium sounds sweet. You should be able to use less filtration if you add media beds, like a refugium.

5. Eden5903 Member Member

What brands should I look at? Can you give me some links please?

It is actually a pond. I am thinking of using a Jebao PF-20E filter and a Biopro BP-10000 pump. Is this a good setup? It is cheaper than the aquarium canister filters

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of the pond?

7. Eden5903 Member Member

I am actually thinking of doing a pond 72in x 36in x 72 or 6ft x 3ft x 6ft

8. Brian Rodgers Member Member

Sorry I apparently got a bit confused yesterday and thought I was posting on backyardaquaponics. i built my filtration for our spa to pond conversion for our four Koi and four Channel Catfish. It's ~ 450 gallons. I've used three fifty gallon HDPE barrels.
    file.php?id=84820.jpg
    The first barrel is an RFF or radial flow filter which uses gravity to overcome the force of the debris coming in from the bottom of the tank. Next the water goes into a barrel with bio-balls and thick mat open foam fiber filter material. The next barrel is the sump with a pump which runs through an inline UV clarifirer. The floating raft bed has plants with roots hanging down in the water. Using a raft bed which acts as a filter may cause your fish depending on what fish you'll stock to get tangled. Koi don't mind but I'm not certain how the Brook in our other ppond would cope with that many roots.
    The other fish tank is in a specially made greenhouse. This pond is 2600 gallons and has a similar filter setup except instead of bio-balls the MBBF (moving bed bio filter) uses K2.
    file.php?id=84758.jpg
    We need to replenish the trout. There still is two trout and four Comets.

9. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

That would be fine for the stock you mention in the original post.