46 gallon Weekly Photo Journal

  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
Im redoing the scape since my hornwort just decided it was done existing nicely anymore in my 46. Doing fine in my betta's tank and fine in my 20, but heck some of these stems in my 46 have been with us since we started dabbling into plants.

Anywho, tore all of that out and decided to rescape it again. The new scape will be relying on a lot of the plants growing into their place, rather than being added already nice and pretty.

Im going to start from the very beginning, when we first upgraded to the 46. The entire misadventure of filling a tank with sand not properly rinsed.

Heck yes lots of fun.
(Also note i have since killed those water hyacinth on top. They did have lighting for plants, in our living room fixture). I have learned that as soon as a plant is exposed to open air, i will inadvertently kill it. Ive killed off every little bit of duck weed without any effort of even trying to remove it.


Moving on.

That took awhile to clear out. Once it cleared, that brought us to this... minimalist look. Too boring. I didnt yet put up the black background.

Started off with the hornwort and water wisteria transferred from the original 10 gallon i had before this. My hornwort was so bright and green and clean. Sigh.

Then i started getting into more plants. A nice java fern and some moneywort (i bought it thinking it was bacopa). And i learned hard that moneywort needs root tabs. (It was also by now my hyacinth died)


Still. It felt too open. So get more driftwood. And more hornwort. Still so nice and bright and fluffy.0


I liked that set up, but still, it lacked something to me. I thought to change it up again


I move around my hardscape and its a refreshing change. Add some new items. Attempt some potamogeton but it didnt end up taking to this tank.

Then of course, my hornwort decides to go all wonky. Leaves continuously dusty, new growth is short and crunchy. I got ghost shrimp to help, but they could only keep the dust off for a week before it came back full force.



So i rip it out, consider other plant options, and decide to rescape yet again.



I scratch all that.

By now i have red ludwigia, a sword, a crypt, vals, and java fern babies.

This is my current stage

Now i need to wait on my plants to grow into their spaces for my very confused fish



So every week i will post an update photo showing where ive had plants grow or die
Its still cloudy now in the tank from escaping.

Next post tomorrow ill introduce the inhabitants as im falling asleep on my phone lol
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
Alright. So the inhabitants of this tank.

I orginally moved 1 dwarf gourami, 6 loaches, and 3 cories from the 10 gallon to it. You could see why we upgraded.

Now it is home to;
9 corydoras (trilineatus, paleatus, and weitzmani)
6 loaches (kuhli and java)
1 dwarf gourami
3 platies (1 adult and 2 fry, one fry is going to a coworker)
1 farlowella twig catfish
9 zebra danios
Various snails
Ghost shrimp


Heavily stocked, if not over, but run on 3 filters with daily 10% water changes, weekly 25%.

And they all have names!
Peppered cories are Habanero, Jalapeno, and Ghost
Trilineatus are Trip, Chopper, and Freckles
Weitzmani are Xinyi, Miyu, and Kevin
Kuhlis are Udon, Ramen, and Soba
Javas are Wonton, Lo Mein, and Wormfish
Dwarf gourami is Red
Platies are Rocket and Crafty (the one for my coworker is not named)
Twig cat is Twigbranch (any warriors novel fans will understand)
Zebra danios are collectively called the Vultures, except the biggest female named Big Jo



My next post will feature my inverts
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
These first two photos are of a colony of bryozoa, a filter feeding crustacean that builds a mineral shell and lives inside. It pokes out this feathery crown to filter out algae, cyanobacteria, and other particles from the water. Despite boiling my driftwood, it survived apparently and has made my tank home. They are harmless to fish and humans, will often actually be a snack to some fish (my platy fry go for them lol) because theyre harmless ive decided they could stay as theyre kinda neat.
This guy is my trapdoor snail. He started off super tiny, the size of a small piece of gravel. He was a plant hitchhiker off of wild hornwort. He is about the size of a dime now, but i dont often see him. I believe he buries in the sand. I see him once every couple of months lol only when i rescape really. He was transferred over from my 10 gallon

Then my ramshorns. I adore these guys. I got some red and golds and a brown leopard or two. Every baby i end up with though has been eaten by my shrimp, except one i rescued and am now housing in another tank lol



These guys are a native snail ive collected. They prefer rocks over sand or driftwood. They are elimia snails. Theyre cute and remind me of cows with their blunt faces lol


Then my ghost shrimp... i got 4 but who knows if ill get surviving babies. Theyre adorable but they eat my snails. I don't mind them eating the bladder snails, but they have a strong preference to my baby ramshorns lol


and of course bladder snails. Got many of them, but i welcome the weird ones. Like this pretty white and gold one. It has bred with regular black ones which resulted in some bluish grey looking ones which are kinda cool. Many unfortunate ones become food for my fish and snails, some purposely because they multiply fast lol



and last to this post, my husband didnt like the location of one of the branches, so i moved it. Also water is clearing up.
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
Unsure why my previous photos arent showing, probably a forum glitch.

Anywho. My tank went on a cloudy streak for a bit, probably due to medications since im treating for skin flukes.

My grassy plant has grown to a nice 3 feet long. Still going too. My java fern's leaves broke off the roots, so i saved what baby plants i could and had to toss the original. Sad day.

20191022_043410.jpg


The height of this grass is impressive
20191022_024050.jpg


Tried my hand at making some handmade gel food. It was a hit, i think. Used mealworms, zucchini, spinach, garlic, and broccoli.
20191022_041909.jpg


20191022_042805.jpg
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
Added in an anubias and moved some stuff around.
Still battling flukes, my medicine came in the mail 2 days ago. No fish lost but its up and down with the severity of these parasites. Can't lie, im getting frustrated with it. But itll take time. Just gotta keep doing a day at a time. No lost fish is a good sign.

20191025_025547.jpg


Still waiting on those plants in the back to make a nice tall wall. I feel like im still missing something though.
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
My Noodle Grass has started making its curtain in the back of the tank. As it spreads, i may work it so it spreads across the other side too.

Pardon the kid's tv show reflection lol
20191101_151704.jpg
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
For kicks, this is what i started with originally. Two 10 gallon tanks
received_2340453726195700.jpeg
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
Moved around some of my tall grass. Its a bit stirred up but weekly photos are here.

20191106_023602.jpg
 

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Messages
2,374
Reaction score
2,348
Points
273
This tank is really coming together! Gotta love light filtering.
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
20191111_185838.jpg

My anarcharis has boomed this week, as has my grass. Im seeing results using the liquid ferts. My sword plant has done really well too, which im happy about. My crypt was only 3 leaves when i bought it. Ive counted over 11 now.

Fed them shrimp and the shrimp went nuts for it
20191111_201332.jpg


She's checking out the menu... i mean tank
20191111_201247.jpg


Got our 10th danio today, a small golden leopard long fin girl... can you find her blur in the school?
20191111_185419.jpg

20191111_142249.jpg


Also got an agassizii cory who was mixed up in the trilineatus at petsmart... took her home and shes made herself comfy with the rest of the mixed group. Chances of finding more are next to nil. But she is a cutie. Name is still being decided. She is almost as big as our big girl peppered cory! This is a pretty big fish, for a cory.
20191109_220054.jpg

20191109_220551.jpg

20191109_221657.jpg


Also added in another java loach, named him Pad Thai. Tomorrow or the day after my order of 3 kuhli loaches should arrive with our new heater. Names of those loaches have been decided--Somen, Gnocchi, and Linguini.
20191109_215933.jpg



Counting the new additions coming, that finalizes the stocking at:

10 zebra danios
10 mixed cories (trilineatus, paleatus, weitzmani, and agassizii)
10 loaches (4 java, 6 kuhli)
1 dwarf gourami
3 platies (all boys)
1 farlowella vittata twig catfish
Ghost shrimp
Snails


Plants:

Anubias (Lanceolata)
Amazon sword (Echinodorus bleheri)
Anarcharis
Elodea Canadensis
Java fern
Water wisteria
Red ludwigia
Unknown native grass
 

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
2,174
Points
273
Experience
1 year
MissNoodle said:
20191111_185838.jpg

My anarcharis has boomed this week, as has my grass. Im seeing results using the liquid ferts. My sword plant has done really well too, which im happy about. My crypt was only 3 leaves when i bought it. Ive counted over 11 now.

Fed them shrimp and the shrimp went nuts for it
20191111_201332.jpg


She's checking out the menu... i mean tank
20191111_201247.jpg


Got our 10th danio today, a small golden leopard long fin girl... can you find her blur in the school?
20191111_185419.jpg

20191111_142249.jpg


Also got an agassizii cory who was mixed up in the trilineatus at petsmart... took her home and shes made herself comfy with the rest of the mixed group. Chances of finding more are next to nil. But she is a cutie. Name is still being decided. She is almost as big as our big girl peppered cory! This is a pretty big fish, for a cory.
20191109_220054.jpg

20191109_220551.jpg

20191109_221657.jpg


Also added in another java loach, named him Pad Thai. Tomorrow or the day after my order of 3 kuhli loaches should arrive with our new heater. Names of those loaches have been decided--Somen, Gnocchi, and Linguini.
20191109_215933.jpg



Counting the new additions coming, that finalizes the stocking at:

10 zebra danios
10 mixed cories (trilineatus, paleatus, weitzmani, and agassizii)
10 loaches (4 java, 6 kuhli)
1 dwarf gourami
3 platies (all boys)
1 farlowella vittata twig catfish
Ghost shrimp
Snails


Plants:

Anubias (Lanceolata)
Amazon sword (Echinodorus bleheri)
Anarcharis
Elodea Canadensis
Java fern
Water wisteria
Red ludwigia
Unknown native grass
Looking better and better and it already looked great :D
That's a really cool looking Cory, was it sold at the same price as the Tri's?
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Looking better and better and it already looked great :D
That's a really cool looking Cory, was it sold at the same price as the Tri's?
Yes because petsmart didnt know what it was and it was in the same tank as the "juliis". Same thing happened with my first weitzmani, was in the "juliis" at petsmart. They thought a panda escaped so marked it as a panda lol

Shes adorable and not very skittish at all. Hangs with the trilineatus and the weitzmani also like to follow her. Very active, readily eats anything too.
20191111_185902.jpg


Shes a very pretty little fish.
20191109_194710.jpg
 

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
2,174
Points
273
Experience
1 year
MissNoodle said:
Yes because petsmart didnt know what it was and it was in the same tank as the "juliis". Same thing happened with my first weitzmani, was in the "juliis" at petsmart. They thought a panda escaped so marked it as a panda lol

Shes adorable and not very skittish at all. Hangs with the trilineatus and the weitzmani also like to follow her. Very active, readily eats anything too.
20191111_185902.jpg


Shes a very pretty little fish.
20191109_194710.jpg
Wow, what a bargain! I sometimes hear of these kind of mislables, usually with Ammano being sold as ghost for £1, I wish I could find them lol. The more rare corys seem to go for anywhere between 15-30 in my area, great find.
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Wow, what a bargain! I sometimes hear of these kind of mislables, usually with Ammano being sold as ghost for £1, I wish I could find them lol. The more rare corys seem to go for anywhere between 15-30 in my area, great find.
The one petstore i found that sells the weitzmani (i found them and bought the 2 they had for friends for my first) doesnt even sell these ones. And petsmart has the standard "julii", panda, bronze, peppered, emerald, and albino bronze. My two sole online sources do not stock it either. So id be at the mercy of ever finding another accidentally and pray its not one of the nearly identical ones lol

Best time to go... the day they get new shipments in lol.

I could order some fancy "new panda" cories from my online source if i was crazy, at $45 a piece. (About 30 your currency roughly)
https://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28343_2&products_id=4231&zenid=b2896882fe8c88147e78be91e952659c

As much as i find those pretty, my wallet couldnt take that beating lol
 

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Messages
2,127
Reaction score
2,174
Points
273
Experience
1 year
MissNoodle said:
The one petstore i found that sells the weitzmani (i found them and bought the 2 they had for friends for my first) doesnt even sell these ones. And petsmart has the standard "julii", panda, bronze, peppered, emerald, and albino bronze. My two sole online sources do not stock it either. So id be at the mercy of ever finding another accidentally and pray its not one of the nearly identical ones lol

Best time to go... the day they get new shipments in lol.

I could order some fancy "new panda" cories from my online source if i was crazy, at $45 a piece. (About 30 your currency roughly)
Corydoras New Panda (CW051) - $45.00

As much as i find those pretty, my wallet couldnt take that beating lol
Wow, they are pretty but I totally agree. My newest lfs had a huge verity of Corys, I can't wait to get back.
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Wow, they are pretty but I totally agree. My newest lfs had a huge verity of Corys, I can't wait to get back.
That online store has the most variety for cories of my options, if you browse the catfish section.
But my petsmarts options i listed before. The other has assorted cories, which luckily had a couple weitzmani. Also some bandit cories
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
The tank this week is going to have a bit of a different look... im gutting a lot of it for some drastic maintenance on my next days off. The substrate needs some work to say the least. Gotta do some serious clean up to kill an algae problem.
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
I spent way too long on this. Added some river rock substrate on top of the sand in some areas that needed additional layering.
Moved some plants around.
Moved driftwood around.
Swapped out a filter (traded my additional topfin20 for my Aquaclear50 that was on my 20 gallon)
Cleaned out my sponge filter.
Added some new polyfiber into all 3 filters.

20191117_045433.jpg

Pardon my bucket, that's what i use to siphon the old water into.

Some photos of the crew...
20191117_045623.jpg
20191117_044951.jpg
20191117_044751.jpg
20191117_045916.jpg
 
  • Thread starter

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Messages
3,463
Reaction score
4,268
Points
283
Forgot to post this shot last night, i loved the angle and way it turned out. Shame the water was still a bit cloudy from the sand getting sorted out, but it made for a pretty neat angle.
20191117_045338.jpg



And my cories are having a blast exploring all the new layout with new caves and more obstacles. Yeah mine are a mixed school and they all school together. They like to break the rules.
20191117_184316(0).jpg


My crypt plant ended up making a new runner that fell off when i moved it, so i planted that one too. Now i got two crypts. Awesome plants, i may get more eventually because they're so hardy... if only my cories would stop uprooting the new leafling lol
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom