46 Gallon Stocking

1. jordykins Initiate Member

Hello!

I am thinking of adding 3 Kuhli loaches to my aquarium. However, I want to make sure I'm not overstocking (I'm pretty sure I would be). I currently have a 46 gallon tank, and these are the inhabitants:

6 female bettas
    5 corys
    5 neon tetras
    1 rasbora (his buddies died several months ago)
    2 nerite snails
    1 "chopstick" snail

Am I already at max capacity? I have a Fluval FX4 filter (up to 400 gallons) if that makes any difference. I do 15-20% water changes every 1-1.5 weeks. Any help is appreciated!

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Kuhlis are schooling fish that need to be kept in groups of 6+

In a 46 gallon you only have room for one bottom dwelling school so you would need to chose between the cories and the kuhlis.

What type of cory do you have?

3. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

What type of Corys?

4. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

What are the dimensions? (length X width X height)

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Neons need cooler temps than bettas.
    Kuhli loaches need larger groups, do 8, not 3.

6. jordykins Initiate Member

I have 4 Julii corys, 1 panda cory (the fish guy accidentally caught him instead of 5 Julii and I didn't notice till I was home). The panda cory chills with the others, but should I add 2 or 3 more pandas? I've read that neons can be kept 69-79 degrees, while bettas are 78-80. The tank is pretty constant at 78. I will probably just stick with the corys then, I was afraid I was fully stocked... If my husband would allow it I'd just get another tank! Thanks for your input!

7. jordykins Initiate Member

Dimensions are 16"L x 36"W x 20"H, it's a bow front.

8. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I would see about Returning the Panda. I believe they do best in cooler temps.

9. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

79 is too warm for neons. 75 is the highest they can go comfortably. Same with the panda cory. I'd personally rehome all the bettas, rehome the lone panda, and up the julii numbers to 8. And also up the neon tetra numbers. What type of rasbora?

10. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The pandas and juliis (probably false juliis though as true juliis are very rare) need cooler water than bettas.

11. jordykins Initiate Member

It's a harlequin rasbora, and the only place I can find them around me is over an hour away, hence why he is by himself. I looked up all my fish on Fishlore, and I found that 78 should be fine for all of them, except the panda cory? 78 is the overlap between all of them.

12. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Fishlore profiles are inaccurate. Have you looked up Seriouslyfish, fishbase, and planetcatfish?

13. jordykins Initiate Member

I've just checked all three, all fish can be kept between 75-77. So I will lower my temp slightly.

14. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Seriously fish will usually list seasonal temps combined with the usual temps, in the wild the fish would not live in the extreme ends of those temps all year-round.

And I must note, although the sites mentioned above are alot more accurate than most all of the information available on the internet, they aren't perfect.

15. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

It's best not to keep fish at the extreme ends of their temp range.

16. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd keep the temp at 75 Fahrenheit.

17. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

And rehome the bettas.

18. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, definitely rehome the bettas, imo.