46 gallon stocking advice?

Punkus_Magunkus

I have a 46 gallon bowfront aquarium and I'm in the process of planting it up. I was wondering if my plan is over or understocked?
Plan was:
8 cardinals or rummynose
8 cherry barb
8 Black Phantom Tetras
8 Kuhli loaches
6 oto cats
3 apistogramma cacatuides
Feedback?

MonsterGar

How planted will it be? You will need good filtration and water changes. But if you keep up with that then that stocking should be fine. With all those smaller fish swimming around your apistos will be out and about all the time. If the bio-load works out then that should be a nice looking tank.

Upvote 0

Punkus_Magunkus

How planted will it be? You will need good filtration and water changes. But if you keep up with that then that stocking should be fine. With all those smaller fish swimming around your apistos will be out and about all the time. If the bio-load works out then that should be a nice looking tank.
Not sure how to describe how planted but pretty heavily, got salviniq on top, like 3 anubias, 1 microsorum, 1 hygrophylia, 1 echinudorus, 1 Rotala, and waiting to get some grass.

Upvote 0

bettalover101

ok so i just did the math and yopur at 48 fish and thats 2 overtstocked but you can get awya with that number id you keep up the good water parimeters than you fish should be healthy along with the oplants

Upvote 0

Punkus_Magunkus

ok so i just did the math and yopur at 48 fish and thats 2 overtstocked but you can get awya with that number id you keep up the good water parimeters than you fish should be healthy along with the oplants
I think its 41 fish lol. And I know 1 fish doesn't necessarily equal 1 gallon..

Upvote 0

bettalover101

ok fine it is

Upvote 0

MonsterGar

I don't think you can really use math when keeping fish. There is just too much variation between species and even between individuals of the same species.

Upvote 0

Punkus_Magunkus

I don't think you can really use math when keeping fish. There is just too much variation between species and even between individuals of the same species.
So do you figure that stocking will be fine? I could cancel the cardinals or rummynose if you think it would be a safer bet.

Upvote 0

MonsterGar

Yes, as long as you have very good filtration and water.

Upvote 0

Fishproblem

So do you figure that stocking will be fine? I could cancel the cardinals or rummynose if you think it would be a safer bet.
I think its doable, though I trend toward understocking all my tanks. If the tank is truly heavily planted, in the sense that it looks like a jungle in there, your plants should do much to keep your parameters in check. However, it will require attentive maintenance to be sure nothing goes awry.

Beyond the issue of bioload, my only concern is that you have plans for three schools of different mid-water swimmers, who will certainly be getting in each other's way. I can't say for sure to what extent though, or how it will affect them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishlover832
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
angelfishguppie