46 Gallon Restocking

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, I've been very busy with school and everything so I've kinda neglected my tanks and am now looking at revamping them one by one.
This is my current 46 gallon.

4 Madagascar Rainbows
1 Juvenile Severum
1 SAE
2 Farowella

Its planted and I plan on adding more;
7 Java Ferns ( Every time I turn around theres more)
1 Large Banana Plant

I plan on taking out the rainbows and probably the SAE and Farowella. I really like the Crenicichla Compressiceps so I'm thinking about getting 2 of them if possible. Then a school or two of LARGE schooling fish; not sure what. I understand that this particular species of Crenicichla is aggresive but I belive that the Severum will be to big for them to pick on and if I get schooling fish that stay in the middle to upper range of the tank the crenicichla will leave them alone.

tyspot1000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would get rid of the severum as it needs a 55 or more.

Ive heard of Crenicichla Compressiceps being really aggressive to others and their own kind, so If you do get 1, make sure they are the only one in the tank (could have some Aggressive tank mates though, If they can fit)

I personally would get rid of everything except your SAE. Maybe get a pair of kribs and a school of colombian tetra

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
GBR.Moorrreeee said:
I plan on taking out the rainbows and probably the SAE and Farowella. I really like the Crenicichla Compressiceps so I'm thinking about getting 2 of them if possible. Then a school or two of LARGE schooling fish; not sure what. I understand that this particular species of Crenicichla is aggresive but I belive that the Severum will be to big for them to pick on and if I get schooling fish that stay in the middle to upper range of the tank the crenicichla will leave them alone.
Is this for your 46 gallon tank?

Madagascar rainbows grow to 4 inches. That would be pushing the limits of your tank as far as the size of a schooling fish in concerned. A school or two of LARGE schooling fish don't belong in a 46 gallon tank. Also, aggressive fish in a small tank with ANY fish probably won't end well.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Severum really does need that extra little bit of space that a 55gal would offer but even more so if you want to introduce something aggressive like Dwarf Pike Cichlids. The Dwarf Pikes could easily damage a Severum given how slow moving & reasonably docile they are.

I would suggest something like Red Jewels would be better tank mates for Dwarf Pikes & are also more suitable for a 46gal. I think your best sticking with a school of smaller Rainbows like Duboulayai or Bosemani or something like Congo Tetras in 46gal. There just won't be enough room for any of the larger schooling fish like Silver Dollars.

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The severum will be moved to a larger tank as soon as it gets big enough to need one. I have an idea for a 100 gallon SA tank that I plan on building once the severum needs it ( Probably around this summer). As of now he's probably 1-2 inches. The madagascars are going to go as I said in the first post. Also, I did some research on the dwarf pikes and came to a conclusion that they are aggressive to others of there type and fish any where below a 3/4 of there size. Any thing larger than them they'll leave alone. I'll post the websites I found this from later as right now I'm on my iPod. And For the schooling fish by large I ment around 3-4 inches.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well you did say that you think the Sev would be too large for the Dwarf Pikes to pick on so the natural assumption is going to be that they are housed together. At 1-2" though your Sev would be a definite target for the Dwarf Pikes so I'd wait until you have moved the Sev before introducing the Dwarf Pikes.

Sounds like I gave you good advice then. The Sev needs to go, the reason for it doesn't matter & where you choose to move it to is up to you. A 100gal SA tank sounds like a good choice. Congo Tetras or the mid size Rainbows would suit the 46gal & something that is bigger & just as aggressive as the Dwarf Pikes, like Red Jewels would work. Red Jewels suit the size tanks & suit the other fish, they also would offer a nice colour contrast to the other fish so would make for a spectacular display.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe. I think they would probably do ok so would be worth giving them a try if you want them.

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was just curious if the following stocking would work. Just trying to look at all options. Also I would like to try to keep all the fish from south america.

3 Angelfish
1 Crenicichla Compressiceps
2 Larger Apistos
1-2 Small plecos

I am able to take back the angels if they get to large, and I will be splitting the tank into two terriotories on the ground, one for the dwarf pike and one for the apisto pair. It will be heavily planted, and I can add on as many filters as needed.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think 3 Angels would be too much & I also think the Pike would find thier fins a bit too tempting to resist having a good chew. If you went with 2 Angels & left out the Pike it would work ok. With the numbers I have recommended you would have room to add a few livebearers or a small shoal of Tetras.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom