46 gallon bowfront stocking questions

1. shady_07 Initiate Member

Hi guys

Im new here on fishlore and i was wondering if anyone could give me any advice. Ive been doing a lot of creeping on other forum topics about stocking my 46 gallon bowfront. Id really like to keep angel fish becuase i find them so attractive. Ive read people keeping 1 angel or 4 or more. What would be appropriate for my tank? And if i could only keep 1 angel, what strain would grow to be the biggest (marble, koi, etc)? Along with the angel(s), i was also thinking of putting in a pair of German Blue Rams. Ive seen any people do this and heard there a very docile fish. With the GBR could I also keep a pair of bolivian rams, or would territory be too much of an issue? Last but not least would a school of 10 cardinal tetras or black ruby barbs be ok with this set up? And why not throw in a pleco for good measure. I know these are a lot of questions and any help would be greatly appreciated. My tank is fully cycled and has moderate decoration density.

Thanks so much :)

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

For your tank, I would suggest
    2 angels
    15 cardnails
    2 GBRs or bolivians
    1 clown or Bn pleco

I wouldn't do more than 2 angels, I don't think there would be enough territory of more, and I would do the GBRs or bolivans not both, my bolivians rule a huge part of a 75gal tank.

3. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :sign0016:

I think an angel pair would do nicely.

Rams tend to stay on the bottom of the tank. A 46 bowfront doesn't have that big of a footprint. Territory might be an issue. The 2 pairs of rams would bicker a lot.

10 cardinals are good. Maybe you could do rummynoses.

Some small plecos are bristlenose, clown, bulldog.

Does your tank have an ammonia source? The bacteria from the cycle might die off if there isnt any.

Good luck!

Ninja'd by Lexi! :;nin2

4. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Pretty much all your domestic strains of angelfish get to be around the same size because they're all just color morphs of the same species. The only ones that I know of that actually get bigger are the wild altum types. Even then, the size difference isn't THAT significant. In a 46gal bowfront, I would say a pair of angels would be the most I would do, especially if you're wanting other fish.

GBRs do GREAT with angels. The angels stay in the mid to upper levels of the tank, while the rams stay on the bottom. I would not, however, do a pair of GBRs and a pair of Bolivian rams in a 46gal bowfront. There just isn't enough space for their territories to not overlap. In a 4-foot tank (like a 55gal or bigger), I'd say it'd be fine.

You could definitely do a school of cardinals or black ruby barbs. Heck, you could do a school of each, if you wanted. I wouldn't do schools of ten if you did both, but I think two schools of eight would be perfect. In mixing angels with smaller community fish (like the cardinals), I have found it is best to buy the angels as small as you safely can. That way they grow up with the smaller dither fish and don't see them as food, like they would in the wild. As an example, I kept an adult male silver zebra angelfish (he was 5.5" long from nose to tail) in my 55gal with black neons, harlequin rasbora, and white cloud mountain minnows with absolutely no problems.

As for a pleco, any of the smaller varieties would work well. Clown, gypsy king tiger, bristlenose, rubberlip...the list goes on. Just make sure they stay under 5" and you're good to go.

5. shady_07 Initiate Member

Hey thanks so much for the quick responces and warn welcome guys, im looking foreward to stocking my aquarium with your suggestions. Ill post a picture if i get the chance lol. In responce to QUAD i have some danios in there to keep the ammonia going. If i choose to put in 2 angels, 8 cardinals, 8 black ruby barbs, 2GBR, and a small pleco, would i be fully stocked or can i add maybe a small single fish such as a dwarf gourami?

6. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I think you could squeeze a dwarf gourami in there. Depends on your filtration, really. Are you going planted?

7. shady_07 Initiate Member

8. junebugd Initiate Member

Hi, I'm new here, but not a complete newbie to fishkeeping. I'm thinking of following your suggestion for stocking my 46 gallon bowfront with 2 angels, 2 bolivian rams, 8 cardinals, 8 black ruby barbs, and a small pleco. What kind of substrate would work for this combination? What are your suggestions for filtration for a 46? I've never tried live plants. Is that essential? Thanks