46 gallon bowfront stocking question

• Thread starter jonatheber
  • Start date

jonatheber

I have a livebearer tank with mostly guppies, a pair of mollies, a few random tetras ( i need more - a few have died), a single tuxedo raspora, an african dwarf frog, a golden algae eater and a single cory cat (one just died). I am looking for help on how to take care of the scavenger part (although I would welcome other recommendations as well). I see other threads have recommendations to put in 6 corys. Is that right? Will there be enough stuff in a tank this size for them to even eat? Are there other appropriate scavenger types that might be a better choice? I would like to stay away from anything likely to make meals of the livebearers or fry....

Crimson_687

Well Known
Corys are peaceful, they won’t eat fry. As for food, they can easily be supplemented. They don’t eat algae really, they’ll mostly eat fallen fish food or any sinking items you give them. They like to be in groups, 6 or more. If you’re worried about fry being eaten, remember the parents themselves often mistake fry for food and eat them. To maximize survival rate, you’ll need a lot of floating plants and plant mops for them to hide in. If you decide to move pregnant females to another tank, be careful when doing so as to not stress the female.

If you want something that eats algae, your best bet is a nerite snail. They’ll eat both algae and diatoms, if they run out of food, they’ll eat fallen fish food and sinking items.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
I used to have a 46g bow going, it was a very nice size tank. Not my forté of fish, but regarding the cories, yes the more the merrier for them since they are a schooling fish, so minimum of 6 is usually the recommended amount. They are not really scavangers though, I mean they have to be supplemented with fish food like the other fish, you just feed them food that sits on the bottom, so they are more bottom feeders than scavengers. I fed mine brine shrimp pellets, a wafer catered for cories and the occasional frozen treat if the other fish don't eat it all first. And no worries, they are so gentle, I don't think they'd hurt a fly, I'd be more concerned about the algae eater being aggressive. But my mom's CAE don't bother anyone but themselves, they leave the cories alone no problem.

jonatheber

Crimson_687 said:
Corys are peaceful, they won’t eat fry. As for food, they can easily be supplemented. They don’t eat algae really, they’ll mostly eat fallen fish food or any sinking items you give them. They like to be in groups, 6 or more. I'm
I'm willing to get more corys, given the above. I guess my main concern is that I not buy a bunch of scavengers and then constantly have to chase giving them enough food to eat. I can see loading them up with food and having an ammonia problem, or not giving them enough and starving them. What's the best solution? The Nerite and be done? Will the nerite have enough to eat with a golden algae eater that seems to be very happy with the algae it has available?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Sorry for repeating, I didn't see Crimson's post till now. But try feeding the cories at night and under a cave or something. I'd feed a group of 6 two pellets every other day/night. If you drop nummies, the cories will find it and eat it believe me, that's what they do as bottom feeders. They clean all the fallen food from the livebearers too. The only spike you'd see would be from the poop, and that doesn't usually make a dent unless you're feeding stupid amounts.

If you were worried about bioload (although you shouldn't be imo) it would be worthy to consider rehoming the survivor cory to a tank with other cories. Oh and btw, they love a school of their own subspecies. Like pepper cories with peppers and sterbai with sterbai.

Crimson_687

Well Known
jonatheber said:
I'm willing to get more corys, given the above. I guess my main concern is that I not buy a bunch of scavengers and then constantly have to chase giving them enough food to eat. I can see loading them up with food and having an ammonia problem, or not giving them enough and starving them. What's the best solution? The Nerite and be done? Will the nerite have enough to eat with a golden algae eater that seems to be very happy with the algae it has available?
Feed bottom feeders whatever amount they are capable of eating, and remove what they don’t eat

Top Bottom