46 gallon bowfront ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by bassbonediva, Apr 1, 2010.

1. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

So, before I got my 55gal, I had a 46gal bowfront set up. I majorly messed up this tank and it's surprising anything survived out of it, much less the sensitive fish like my otos. When I say "messed up," I mean that I didn't cycle it, I left the lights on too long (sometimes 15 hours a day), I would strip it down completely to clean it instead of doing regular water changes...that sort of thing. Well, needless to say, I learned my lesson well and have since mended my ways.

Now that my 55gal is up, running and *almost* where I want it to be (just need to get the new T5 fixture and work on getting it stocked as I want) , I want to do something with the 46gal that I tore down to make room for the 55gal. This won't happen until probably next month since the 36" fixture I have for the 46gal won't be freed up until then (it's currently on the 55gal, but at the end of this month I'll be getting a T5 fixture for the 55gal and the 36" fixture will be available again.

So, this is where you guys come in! You get to help me decide what to put in 46gal. It'll have a 36" T8 60W fixture on it and a Penguin 170 for a filter. I'm going to do play sand as a substrate and natural rocks for decor. I'm *kind of* thinking about dabbling in cichlids, but I'm not sure yet. There's an adorable little baby green terror at my local Petco that's been there since it was a wee fry (been there for about 2 months now) that I'm just absolutely in love with. Anyway...if you had 46gal of room to play with, what would you do (within reason...I don't want anything I have to order or can only be found online as I don't have a checking account and don't have anyone I whose account I can use to order stuff)?

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I'd leave the Green Terror where it is unless you want to have it as the only fish in the 55gal you just set up. Green Terrors need a minimum 55gal just to keep one & I really think that should be more like 75gal minimum.

Perhaps a Green Severum, a pair of German Blue Rams a Flag cichlid & a Clown Pleco would be good though. You could also look at a pair of Angelfish, 3 German Blue Rams (all female), a group of Corys & some non nippy tropicals like Harlequin Rasboras or Lemon Tetras.

3. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Hmmmmmmm...eventually I want to set the 46gal bowfront up as an angelfish tank with almost the same stocking list as you suggested, Nutter. lol My biggest "issue" with the German blue rams is that nowhere around here stocks them at all (unless I want to drive three hours). I wanted a pair for my 55gal and it was either order them online or drive three hours to get them. Same thing goes for the clown pleco. I guess I should have mentioned that I live in a TINY town with Petsmart, Petco and two LPS that don't have very good fish selections (one of them has about half a dozen 10gal tanks with mainly guppies and gouramis with some angels and random fish every once in a while...the other isn't much better).

Another cichlid that I was looking at is the yellow lab cichlid. Would these work in my 46gal? I know Petsmart has a whole bunch of colorful cichlids in a tank that are just labeled "Assorted African Cichlid" and there are some yellow labs in there.

4. Nutter

46gal is only just big enough for Yellow Labs. The biggest problem you would have then is that you would need to stock the tank only with rift lake cichlids & there are not that many that can be put into that size tank & be compatible with the Yellow Labs.

Can you ask your LFS if they can order specific fish for you? You would have to trust that what you recieve is from good stock but other than that most LFS should be quite willing to order a specific fish for you so long as they can get it from thier supplier & know that you are going to buy it. Failing that there might be other Fishlore members that might be willing to ship you some GBR's when the weather is suitable. Not sure about that last option but could be worth a try.

5. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

I've tried ordering through my LFS (tried pygmy cories through one of them and a pair of GBRs through the other) and never heard ANYTHING from them. When I called them to check if they'd even looked into getting the fish, they apparently had no clue what I was talking about, even though I'd watched them write my request in their ordering book. *rolls eye and shakes head*

Okay, so I more than likely can't do the cichlids. It was just an idea. I could do a pair of angels, but I'd have to check my LFS stock. The stock at Petsmart (the only place that carries angels other than the LFS) are really weak. I don't want to duplicate species across my tanks (other than clean up crews like cories, otos and plecos), that's my only REAL stipulation as far as stocking this tank goes. As far as what I already have goes, I have neons, platies, guppies, a gourami, bettas (male and female), tiger barbs, an upside down catfish and kuhli loaches. The 55gal stocking is also going to have flame/Von Rio tetras in it, I just haven't been able to get them yet.

I don't want any more livebearers or tetras (since neons and flames/Von Rios are my faves and I already have them). I'm picky, I know. :p

6. Nutter

How about something like Rosy Barbs, Clipper Barbs & 3 x Talking Catfish or Pictus?

7. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Hmm...I've never seen (or heard of) clipper barbs. :-/

Here's a few fish that I find interesting other than the cichlids and that I know I can get in my area:
    -African Leaf Fish
    -Pictus Catfish
    -Dwarf Puffer (the only ones I've seen in my area are the green ones with the black spots they sell at Walmart, so I'm not sure exactly what variety of DP they are)
    -Tire track eel
    -Leopard danios (I know, random, but I think they're kind cute)
    -Angelicus botia
    -Long-finned gold barbs (I'm pretty sure they're gold barbs)
    -Neon dwarf rainbowfish (I understand they're *uber* sensitive, though)

Thoughts on any of those?

8. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

My Walmart has those too, and I asked about them. Here are a few links some people sent me: General Guide to Puffer Care
    Green Spotted Puffer - Tetraodon nigroviridis
    (hope that did right) anyway, I guess they don't really do well w/ other fish. Good luck!

9. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

I was afraid they might be green spotted puffers. They're brackish and I kind of wanted to avoid brackish if possible. Okay, so scratch those off the list! lol I just thought they were cute. :p

Aaaaand scratch the tire track eel as well! They grow to be as long as my tank. Yeesh! lol

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  10. Nutter

Clipper Barb (Barbus Callipterus):

Depending on your water parameters & how carried away you want to get you could plant the tank & have Discus & Clown Barbs.

I don't know much about African Leaf Fish. I think they need a species tank.

I find Rainbowfish are pretty tough critters but I've never specifically kept Dwarf Neon Rainbows so I can't really say how they would be. I would imagine you could put them in with the Leopard Danios without problem & perhaps something like a Royal Whiptail as a Catfish rather than the typical Cory school.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  11. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Sending PM.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice