46 Gallon Bowfront Budget Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Nebushkow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey guys. I was looking through options for lighting for moderately planted tank. I am very conflicted on the options. I was looking at the yescom 129 full spectrum led light on Amazon at first. But then I came across two King of diy videos, the first of his diy led strip lighting and in the second, he suggested an led shop light. Any suggestions?

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What plants do you plan on growing? The LED shop light might be an option, so would a DIY light using flood lights. I, personally use the Beamswork DA 6500k on my 46 bowfront, its definitely low-light at 20” at the top of the substrate. Here’s a picture of my 46:

07AC8726-EADB-4E1B-B586-8BF0047AF579.jpeg

OP
Daniel Nebushkow

Daniel Nebushkow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I currently have java fern and amazon sword, but I plan on having water wisteria and other plants like it.

The thing about the shop light is that he says he got it on amazon for 30ish dollars but I can only find 4 foot lights which would work. Unless i find a short shop light that can be plugged in that option is probably out.

The Beamswork looks interesting. It grows plants?
Currently I have a light fixture on that came with the tank that has one t8 bulb so would the Beamswork be better?

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I currently have java fern and amazon sword, but I plan on having water wisteria and other plants like it.

The thing about the shop light is that he says he got it on amazon for 30ish dollars but I can only find 4 foot lights which would work. Unless i find a short shop light that can be plugged in that option is probably out.

The Beamswork looks interesting. It grows plants?
Currently I have a light fixture on that came with the tank that has one t8 bulb so would the Beamswork be better?
Just make sure the bulbs are 5500-8000K (preferably 6500K) for the shop lights. You can also find some flood lights, I think the Kind of DIY made a video about these too. They’re fairly cheap, and if you’re handy, then you can have multiple flood lights running on one line.

The beamswork can grow plants, just make sure it’s the 6500K version. This is also the DA, which has 5 rows of LEDs than 3 rows(that most lights have).

Just remember a 46 bowfront has an odd shape, the front panel makes it difficult to get light there, so you might need 2. The front section of my 46 is dark-ish, but I only have java moss growing there.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just bought 2x 3ft LED shop lights from home depot for $10 a few days ago. Leftovers from Black Friday.

They were 4000k, 30 watt and 3000 lumen.

They were for my garage, but could easily be used for an aquarium.

OP
Daniel Nebushkow

Daniel Nebushkow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just looked at some flood lights on Amazon, and this specific light would fit perfect on my aquarium but its only 15 watts. Does this mean that I have to get multiple to light up a 46 gallon?
The temperature is 6500k.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just looked at some flood lights on Amazon, and this specific light would fit perfect on my aquarium but its only 15 watts. Does this mean that I have to get multiple to light up a 46 gallon?
The temperature is 6500k.
If it’s small, then yes. Do you have a link to the one you’re planning on buying?

You can lift it a few inches above the aquarium to get a good spread, but since it’s a flood light, it’ll fill the entire room it’s in with light, unless you get some sort of barrier.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 86 66.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 23 17.8%

Top Bottom