45 Gallon: Would This Be A Friendly Community Tank? (tetras, Corys, Rams) Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by WildType, Jan 6, 2019.

1. WildType

WildTypeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hello, Fishlore community!
    I should start out by saying I haven't cycled yet but plan a fishless cycle. I'm actually still cleaning a used acrylic 45 gallon and refinishing a heavy wood dresser as a stand.

In the meantime, I'm deeply considering the future stocking.

My stocking idea in AqAdvisor format: p5Ep2Zy.
    I'm thinking either a single male or a pair of Bolivian Rams instead of Germans because they are supposedly hardier. I'm not exactly sure which (lone or pair) is more peaceful because I'm seeing mixed advice.

Haven't decided on the kind of cory but likely it's Bronze or Leopard (feel free to suggest others!).

Bloodfin tetras look amazing and some of the slightly more colorful phenotype varieties of skirt tetra intrigue me. I'm not totally committed to having both tetras, however, will keep one if it's an issue.
    Also, even though I'll wait for no nitrite and nitrate showing, the initial light stocking perplexes me: should I add like 3 corys to establish the tank without taxing a bloom? I apologize for the long post and thank anyone for comments or criticism.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. mimo91088

mimo91088Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +135
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    That stocking list looks good. How much you can initially stock depends on how you do your fishless cycle. Basically, look at how much ammonia your tank can cycle in 24 hours. I like to get mine where it can totally process 4-5 ppm of ammonia into nitrates in 24 hours. Then it should be able to handle the cories pretty easily if you introduce the group of them first. But if you're only processing say, 1ppm in 24 hours, then I'd start off lighter. Either way, make sure your tank shows 0 ammonia and nitrites before adding anything.

3. OP
    OP
    WildType

WildTypeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thanks a lot for for giving me a an unbiased 2nd opinion. My last 5 gallon neon tetra tank was not a very happy tank and I ended up taking it down and donating the fish to a LFS. I wanted to verify this stocking before committing.
    I'll try to experiment and aim for 4-5 ppm in a day!