45 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Bayster70, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Bayster70Valued MemberMember

I recently got a 45 gallon freshwater tank and it's all set up and going thruugh a fish less cycle but I was wondering what a good amount of fish would be... I wanted neon tetra with some Cory catfish but o just don't know maybe a good centerpiece fish like a ram but any ideas of stocking would help a lot ,thanks

2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

A ram wouldn't work with neons, they need warmer water. What else would you be interested in?

3. Cory LoverNew MemberMember

The Neons and Corys work fine together, but Rams and Neons need different temperatures. I would highly recommend Peppered Corys. They are the most laid back Cory species and would go best with the Neons. I've owned TONS of Corys and the Peppered are definitely the most laid back and chill.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

If you decide not to go with neons, cardinal tetras and green neon/false neon tetras are warmer water and will work with rams.
    If you get cories with rams, make sure they are a warmer water type.
    Corydoras aeneus, gossei, haraldschultzi, sterbai, oiapoquensis, seussi, adolfoi, and duplicareus are warm water cories. Make sure, if you get multiple cory types, to get 6 of each species as mix and match isn't good. I would only do 2 cory species in this size tank.

5. Bayster70Valued MemberMember

If a ram wouldn't work very well what other kind of centerpiece fish would go good with the neons?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

A dwarf gourami.....

7. ThatGuppyGuyValued MemberMember

I would do a honey gourami, but that's just cos i love them.

8. raif281Valued MemberMember

I have a 40gl breeder tank and in the same boat. going to get cardinal tetras and bronze Cories. someone told me not to get peppered Cories for my tank don't remember why.

9. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Dwarf gouramis can be shy though mine is in a planted 75g tank and usually stays under/behind plant cover i really only see him if hes building a bubble nest or feeding times

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. fishfisherValued MemberMember

I think it depends on each fish. My dg was shy at first but over time he's actually very active and quite aggressive, but no one pays him any mind because they out swim him and are bigger . I have him with congo tetras which are beautiful but pretty shy.
    Rainbows are pretty too and do fine with a dg.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Probably because they need cooler temps than most other cories. They aren't really a tropical fish.
    Do you mean rainbowfish? They are schooling and would need a group of 6+.

12. fishfisherValued MemberMember

I have a soft spot for rainbowfish because I had to give them up. But I heard that they would do alright in a 45 gal. At least the dwarf rainbowfish would. And I could see them being a centerml piece.
    As for the comment of each fish I was mainly referring to the dg. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2015
  13. raif281Valued MemberMember

yup that's what it was! I know coradee is the resident Cory person so I'm taking her advice an probably going with the bronze Cories

14. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yep, good choice.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  15. skarWell Known MemberMember

Imo... look at emperor tetras in place of the neons.
    I know this is against the grain but..
    Neons and rams seem to do great together for me. Shrug

16. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

They are fine together aggression wise (there is no aggression between them) but the problem is that neons need cooler temps, under 74, and rams need it over 80. They will have shorter lifespans under or over their temp range.

17. Bayster70Valued MemberMember

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439777319.013797.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439777331.998202.jpg
    Would the fish I have selected be okay in this tank?its 45 gallons but idk if I can have them all becouse of the plants

18. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I saw your post in the other thread you made, listen to what Coradee said there.

19. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Off topic posts have been deleted & some posts edited, please stay on topic

20. Bayster70Valued MemberMember

So I have 1 guppy 1 neon and 8 white skirt tetra and they will be going thru the cycle since it's a new tank I put in a big bottle of tetra safe start and I was wondering if I need to do water changes still or not I've heard mixed reviews on it some say I need to do water changes after a week other say 2 weeks ? What should I do for water changes and when should I? Also I was wondering when I should start testing? I have the api master test kit

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice