45 Gallon Tank: What heater do I need?

DMT

What factors should I take into account when looking for a heater? is there a 'best' heater for a 45 gal? I'm new to this, and am absolutely clueless about what heater to get

Kupcake

If you have a bit more money to spend I would try to find a heater that is adjustable. I don't have a specific brand for you though.

fishingman001

Marineland Visi-Therm Stealth heater are really good. I have one in my 33 gallon and I have had no problems so far.

claudicles

They pretty much all have thermostats these days and are adjustable. Some you can adjust to a degree, some 2 degrees, celcius that is. The usual guideline is two watts per gallon so if you convert that to litres it means about two litres to a watt. I have a whole lot of different brands and I can't claim to notice a huge difference in them. You would think that the more expensive ones would have more sensitive thermostats but I'm not sure it is the case. I tned to get Jager for my bigger tanks because I figure there is a lot more riding in them. Larger tanks may stay more stable with two smaller heaters.
Now for the experts......

brokenwing

watch marineland with there stealth heaters right now they are having a lot of problems.

bassbonediva

150 watts should be the perfect size for a 45gal tank. If you go bigger, it'll be switching on and off all the time. If you go smaller, it'll have to work harder to heat the tank. I wouldn't recommend getting a Tetra or Top Fin (or whatever Petco's brand is). The cheaper store brand heaters tend to not be as durable and I'm pretty sure the Tetras, at least, aren't adjustable. I just bought a Rena SmartHeater 150 for my 29gal today and it says it will adjust up to 12 degrees from the ambient temperature, which is awesome (I know a lot of them are around four or six degrees).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Taydee
  • Scrappygirl93
  • Heater
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • UnknownGuppyLover
  • Heater
Replies