45 Gallon Stock ideas

Estrella Longa

Would this be - just right, too much, or could add a little more? Any other suggesting?

I am looking to add the following:
6 Celestial Pearl Danios
3 Halfmoon Tailed Guppies (1 male, 2 females)
2 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis (1 male, 1 female)

Current stock:
5 Amano Shrimps
3 Emerald Catfish Corydoras
6 Espei Rasboras

My setup - Running for 2 years:
Tank
: Aqueon 45 gallon tall
Filtration: AquaClear 50 HOB filter & Seapora 136 Sponge Filter
Lighting: Aqueon Econo Day White set on day/night timer
Aquascape: Seiryu Stones, Driftwood branches & Large Driftwood hollow log
Plants: Anubias, Java Fern and Java Moss
Food: Tropical Flakes, Spirulina, Frozen Brine Shrimp, Frozen Bloodworms
Water Parameters: Temp: 79F, PH: 7.4, Ammonia: 0 ppm, Nitrites: 0 ppm, Nitrates: 20 ppm
Maintenance: Gravel vacuum,15% weekly water changes

FinalFins

Hi there,

If you want to add stock I would make your water changes at least 50% weekly. And the first thing to consider is to get more corydoras. You want at least 6 total.

Dwarf gouramis are known to be sickly and prone to health issues nowadays, so I would consider switching to honey gouramis.

Where are you located? Female dwarf gouramis are very rare in the USA and other places too, so I would not rely on a local fish shop to bring in any females. It is very infrequent that some shops bring females from.

CPD's are very shy fish and I don't think they would appreciate much activity so I suggest switching them for something else.

Upvote 0

Estrella Longa

Hi there,

If you want to add stock I would make your water changes at least 50% weekly. And the first thing to consider is to get more corydoras. You want at least 6 total.

Dwarf gouramis are known to be sickly and prone to health issues nowadays, so I would consider switching to honey gouramis.

Where are you located? Female dwarf gouramis are very rare in the USA and other places too, so I would not rely on a local fish shop to bring in any females. It is very infrequent that some shops bring females from.

CPD's are very shy fish and I don't think they would appreciate much activity so I suggest switching them for something else.

I will definitely increase my water changes to min. 50%.

What would the minimum numbers of honey gouramis should i have? Would 1 each male and female still be ok?

I am in Canada. I assume there would be females in the store's tank, I never asked. Good to know about the health issues.

Are Zebra or White Cloud a better alternative to CPDs?

6 other type of Danios
? Honey Gouramis
5 Amano Shrimps
6 3 Emerald Catfish Corydoras
6 Espei Rasboras

Upvote 0

FinalFins

I will definitely increase my water changes to min. 50%.

What would the minimum numbers of honey gouramis should i have? Would 1 each male and female still be ok?

I am in Canada. I assume there would be females in the store's tank, I never asked. Good to know about the health issues.

Are Zebra or White Cloud a better alternative to CPDs?

6 other type of Danios
? Honey Gouramis
5 Amano Shrimps
6 3 Emerald Catfish Corydoras
6 Espei Rasboras
You can easily fit a trio or more (of honeys), or pearl gouramis like JettsPapa said.

In Canada its also pretty rare for females to pop up but we used to have a member that managed to find one at a petsmart.

I like white clouds but did you ever consider more espei rasboras or harlequin rasboras?

Upvote 0

Estrella Longa

1. I agree with what https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/members/finalfins.116863/said about adding corys, and wanted to clarify that it should be more of the same species.
  2. If you decide against the dwarf gouramis then pearl gouramis would be another good choice. I'd suggest a trio (1 M, 2 F).
  3. I'd probably get more than 6 of the cpd's.

1. The emerald corys are great. Very active. One of them loves to play in the air pump bubbles.

2. I was told pearl gouramis were aggressive and get really big.
I was looking for a colourful pair of uniquely patterned or shaped centrepieces for the tank but not larger then 3 inches. Honeys are nice if i can keep a pair. Also considering maybe some type of Rainbow fish.

3. Would CPDs be less timid in a bigger group? So 12 instead of 6?

Upvote 0

Estrella Longa

You can easily fit a trio or more (of honeys), or pearl gouramis like JettsPapa said.

In Canada its also pretty rare for females to pop up but we used to have a member that managed to find one at a petsmart.

I like white clouds but did you ever consider more espei rasboras or harlequin rasboras?

I was told pearl gouramis were aggressive and get really big.

I was trying to go for biodiversity.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

1. The emerald corys are great. Very active. One of them loves to play in the air pump bubbles.

2. I was told pearl gouramis were aggressive and get really big.
I was looking for a colourful pair of uniquely patterned or shaped centrepieces for the tank but not larger then 3 inches. Honeys are nice if i can keep a pair. Also considering maybe some type of Rainbow fish.

3. Would CPDs be less timid in a bigger group? So 12 instead of 6?

I don't know how you define "really big". Pearl gouramis are beautiful fish, but they do get larger than 3". You got bad information about them being aggressive. Just about any fish has the potential to be aggressive, but they're one of the more peaceful gourami species.

Most shoaling fish feel safer in larger groups, but I specifically recommended more than 6 cpd's because they're so small. Six wouldn't show up very well. I didn't have a specific number in mind, but 12 would be good.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ryl33a
  • Question
Replies
Views
PurpleReign19
Replies
Views
baileyjack