45 gallon species tank ideas

1. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Right now my 45 is the tank of reject fish - it's got a couple of bolivian rams, a couple of longfin rosy barbs and a school of gold barbs.

My tentative plan is to get rid of the remaining tiger barbs and move them all over to the 55, which would free up the 45 for........

I had been wanting crayfish again. I COULD go with crayfish and tiger barbs, something I've done before.

Anyone have any ideas? The tank is a tall 45, 36x12 footprint. fluval 405 for filtration.

2. apple429 Well Known Member Member

maybe some hatchets?? with some kind of fair size "snakey" type bottom feeder.. hmm... I hate stocking... I feel like you go through the alphabet four or five times with all the different plans (plan A, B, C, D...) YIKES!!! Good Luck!

:;dete

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

4. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

discus for sure!!!!

5. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

you know my suggestion will always be dojos lol, but discus would be quite pretty. the new fish would be sharing the space with the gold and rosy barbs?

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I already have dojos :)

The gold and rosy barbs and bolivian rams will be moved to the 55, leaving the 45 empty.

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

What about a micro species tank?

Or maybe a snakeskin barb species tank I love them.

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm doing micro fish in the 30 hex, as that's all the tank is good for. And I have several barb species already. Thank you for the suggestions though.

9. fighter55 Member Member

You could try a BN Pleco, Corys, or some kind of loach for the bottom(I love kuhlis)

10. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

Discus are by far the coolest fish that have been mentioned. My LFS has a 8 inch snakeskin and a couple royal reds in right now i was so temped to buy them. He has them in with a couple tea cup rays, its a cool looking combo

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

thanks for the suggestion, but I've got plecos with corys and/or loaches in multiple tanks already.

Yeah, discus are at the top of the list at the moment.

Is there any fish that would make it a cool specimen tank?

Dare I say..... SW?

12. Speedy Well Known Member Member

I think Discus are stunning fish but if you go salt water what about Seahorses

I have always wanted to keep Discus in freshwater and Seahorses are one of my favorites to I so wish I could keep either of them. ;)

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I've thought about seahorses in the past... I think the 30 hex would be a better tank for them though.

I really am afraid of saltwater - I spend enough money already.....

14. Speedy Well Known Member Member

They are so cute....I might give them a try sometime.

Yeah I know what you mean that is why I haven't went to saltwater.

But maybe if I could get a little one with just a couple of seahorses I would be happy....;D

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That's how it starts..... today it's seahorses, then the next thing you know you'll be constructing an octopus tank :)

16. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

pair of honey gourami's and 9-10 Kuhli loaches is what I would do. Maybe a small school of tetra's or something if I still think it needs more after.

17. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

just one more tank, just one more tank lol

What about trying to plant the heck out of it and doing puffers?

18. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Seahorses are hard to keep.

Are you ready for daily water changes with discus?

19. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'll come up with some ingenious system ;)

20. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

what if before you stocked it, you drilled it to be like a SW tank, and then set it up as a discus tank? that way, if you wanted to do it as a seahorse tank later, you could, but you'd have a chance to try out the discus first, and i feel like a drilled tank would be pretty easy to set up for automated water changes, to remove a little of the burden for the constant discus care.