45 gallon questions

1. rholden11 Member Member

Hey Everyone,
    I am most likely moving to the sunshine state on business this fall/winter and I have a 45 gallon freshwater tank. I love it! MY wife loves it! My son loves it! but with the move it would be easier for us to give the fish away and bring the tank and stand with us and start over. We made some friends in the fish community that would most likely take them (just a school of Rumynose, Corys and some snails right now). We lost our GBR! :( Anyways, when we get all settled in we were thinking of making it a reef tank. Whats your thoughts? Is a 45 gallon too small for that? What could I stock it with?

Also, I have a marineland 400 filter and Fluval Fresh 2.0 lights, would that be ok in a reef tank? Would I need a new filter and lights? Thanks

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

If you bag up the fish and get them to where your moving to,the fish will be ok.A 45 gallon is big enough for a reef tank,when you said what to stock it with do you mean fish or coral for fish,for fish I would do
    2 clown fish of you choice(same species)
    4 clown gobys
    5 peppermint shrimp
    10 blue leg hermit crabs
    1 watchman goby with a pistol shrimp
    1 flame angel or coral beauty
    I don't have much coral,just mushrooms,toadstool,zooanthids so I can't help you there.you will need a light appropriate for coral though.

3. rholden11 Member Member

Thanks. Any idea about the filter? Could a marineland 400 work on a reef tank?

4. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I'm not sure I think it can work.

5. oscarmk Member Member

Typically filters are not used in saltwater aquariums, instead the use of a protein skimmer is recommended. Protein skimmers can only work in saltwater due to the extra tension added by the salt, and they are the perfect way to remove nutrients and filter the water. If you decide to use the filter you need to make sure to clean it every week or so.

You will definitely need a new light that has a light spectrum for coral growth.

6. rholden11 Member Member

Great! Thank you! As far as stock, what kind of coral would be good in a 45 gallon?

7. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Anything that doesn't grow big enough to take up alot of space.

8. oscarmk Member Member

Basically anything that you can support, I would strongly suggest starting with "Easy" corals such as softies like zoanthids and some easy LPS like candy cane corals. SPS corals have stronger lighting requirements, but also require you to keep the parameters in check, and often involve having a calcium reactor.