45 Gallon Biotope Stocking Help

scott stevenson

Reaction score
Hello! I need help stocking my new tank! I'm new here so feel free to redirect me to another thread

Quick facts:
45 gallon tank
Heavily planted (9-12 Java ferns).
Rocks and driftwood
9 Tiger barbs
3 Yoyo loaches
1 Blue Gourami
Filter cycles 250 gal/hour (may need to get a better one).
Substrate is inert sand mixed with Seachem Flourite
Tank has been established for ~2 months. No fatalities all fish get along and are very healthy

I would like to add a few more schooling fish/something that will enjoy my many plants. Maybe more barbs or Harlequin rasboras?
I will most likely be adding some Otocinclus to help with my brown algae problem.
I'm looking for general suggestions that would go well in my tank (top/middle/bottom swimmers). I prefer Asian fish but I'm also flexible.

Thanks Everyone!

OP
S

scott stevenson

Reaction score
blue velvet keeper said:
how about lambchop rasboras
I like those! My main concern is not adding too much bio-load to the filter. This is my first larger aquarium so I'm still trying to figure out how much room I have.

TheWalkman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m a big fan of Harlequin Rasboras but you will need to add like 6+
I wouldn’t add the oto to deal with the brown alagae. It’s still normal to have diatom alagae even after 2 months.

Nicholas pilgrim

Reaction score
If you like Asian fish how about Asian stone catfish. ( I don't know how they would interact with the loaches) also only add them if you aquarium has lots of hiding spots for them to feel safe.

New Threads