Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

45 Gallon Biotope Stocking Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by scott stevenson, Feb 13, 2019.

1. scott stevensonNew MemberMember

Hello! I need help stocking my new tank! I'm new here so feel free to redirect me to another thread :)

Quick facts:
    45 gallon tank
    Heavily planted (9-12 Java ferns).
    Rocks and driftwood
    9 Tiger barbs
    3 Yoyo loaches
    1 Blue Gourami
    Filter cycles 250 gal/hour (may need to get a better one).
    Substrate is inert sand mixed with Seachem Flourite
    Tank has been established for ~2 months. No fatalities all fish get along and are very healthy

I would like to add a few more schooling fish/something that will enjoy my many plants. Maybe more barbs or Harlequin rasboras?
    I will most likely be adding some Otocinclus to help with my brown algae problem.
    I'm looking for general suggestions that would go well in my tank (top/middle/bottom swimmers). I prefer Asian fish but I'm also flexible.

Thanks Everyone!

2. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

how about lambchop rasboras

3. scott stevensonNew MemberMember

I like those! My main concern is not adding too much bio-load to the filter. This is my first larger aquarium so I'm still trying to figure out how much room i have.

4. TheWalkmanValued MemberMember

I’m a big fan of Harlequin Rasboras but you will need to add like 6+
    I wouldn’t add the oto to deal with the brown alagae. It’s still normal to have diatom alagae even after 2 months.

5. Nicholas pilgrimValued MemberMember

If you like Asian fish how about Asian stone catfish. ( i don't know how they would interact with the loaches) also only add them if you aquarium has lots of hiding spots for them to feel safe.