45 Gal Tank Fish

1. J_price42 Initiate Member

Hey I'm about to get a new 45 gallon tank and want to know if these fish are able to go together. They are electric blue ram, German blue ram, German gold ram, angle ram, clown killifish, black kuhli loach, peacock eel,some rainbow fish ,a badis, scarlet gem badis,.which if these fish can go together is this to many for a 45 gallon tank

2. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Any of those can fit but if you get a peacock eel they are carnivores and would be the only fish in your tank (At least some experts say).

3. J_price42 Initiate Member

Have any recommendations for a filter for this tank. And will sand work

4. DylanM Member Member

I would recommend either a sunset 304b, if you are interested in canister filters. If you want to save 20 bucks and get an HOB filter, an aquaclear 70 is pretty much the best HOB filter on the market.

5. J_price42 Initiate Member

I've heard the rams like to swim at the bottom . I would like a variety that swim bottom middle and top. That will get along. Don't really want any tetras or danios any recommendations?

6. DylanM Member Member

Well, I have a school of long-finned zebra danios and they look fantastic. Ever since I got my pearl gourami they shoal pretty tightly at the top of the tank... but I see you don't want any. I don't have the time to check compatibility, but rasboras are very interesting schooling fish that swim around the middle area.

7. J_price42 Initiate Member

I've actually never seen long finned zebra danios before. I just looked them and they look amazing. I will see if there compatible with the other fish.

8. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure but other people will tell you :)

9. DylanM Member Member

As long as the sand is either pool-filter sand, or aquarium sand it should be good with all of your fish. It takes a bit more washing than gravel before-hand to avoid a mess in the tank, but I think It looks a lot better than gravel. If you do want a planted tank, which can be done affordably with the correct low-light plants and a cheap, reliable light, I'd recommend dirt or some sort of plant-specific substrate. Although the loaches may dig in the dirt, so keep that in mind.

10. J_price42 Initiate Member

I've also been wanting a puffer. But Im finding things like people are saying the puffer will do fine then others say the puffer is to aggressive . Do you know if a puffer will do okay

11. DylanM Member Member

I have no experience with pufferfish, could someone who does please answer?

12. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    What are the dimensions of the tank?
    Puffers are not compatible with these fish at all.

Don't get a peacock eel.

13. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    What are the dimensions of the tank?
    Puffers are not compatible with these fish at all.

Don't get a peacock eel.