44 Pentagon or 30 Halfmoon Aquarium

1. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Hello, again, everyone. Well, it's official, I've finished stocking my 55 gallon tank in my livingroom, and the MTS bug is in full force! I'm considering a tank for my bedroom, too, but will only do it if I find a tank that I can add the fish I really want to it. I'm pretty limited in space, but recently, I've found two aquariums on Craigslist that I could fit in my bedroom. They are, as mentioned in the subject of this thread, a 44 gallon Pentagon tank, and a 30 gallon Halfmoon acryliic. First, a question about the pentagon tank if anyone knows: can it fit snug into a corner, or is this tank best displayed against a flat wall like any regular shaped tank would? Now, onto the dilemma...

Due to the shape of both of these tanks, I'm not sure what I'm dealing with. Can I stock the halfmoon the same as I'd stock a regular shaped 30 gallon? Below, I'm going to list the specific fish/themes I'd want in my bedroom tank, and if I can get suggestions on which tank would best suit my needs, or if neither would work. Also, if anyone has suggestions other than the fish I'm looking into, those would be welcome, too. As always, thanks for the assistance!

Fish Ideas:
    Jack Dempsey (but I know I couldn't have this in either tank mentioned above...it's a dream, though)
    Texas Cichlid (same as above)
    Angelfish (here's where I think I'm getting a bit more realistic)
    Rainbowfish (turquoise and/or praecox)
    Cory Cats
    Blue Acara (I think I'm dreaming again)
    Geophagus (I absolutely love the Jurupari. Pearl Earth Eaters are nice, too. But, again, I'm dreaming, I know)
    Rainbow/Sajica Cichlid (these are last on my list as I like them, but highly doubt I want them for the bedroom tank as they don't fit into the colors/theme I'll discuss below)

Colors/Theme:
    Blue. Not ALL blue, but enough blue so it's a noticeable theme to the tank. Mainly with the fish, and not with the decor. For instance, I don't want cheesy looking colored gravel and decorations. I want my decor to look as natural as possible (but don't want live plants). So, I want blue fish. Again, not all, but for the most part. For example, if I'm going with fish from above that I think may be realistic for the tank options, I was thinking maybe an all white angel with blue rainbowfish, and some cories for the bottom (maybe albino to "match" the Angel?). Something where there's a clear "centerpiece", with a school of blue colored fish. Again, I'm absolutely open to suggestions, but I figured it might be helpful to give some thought as to where I'm going with my thoughts.

2. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Bumping this up as I've gotten no responses, and was really hoping to get some opinions on this.

3. peregrine Member Member

OK I'm new here (and to my own aquariums, so going off what my friends have)) so take this with a grain of salt..

To answer the questions,

Yes a pentagon shaped tank will fit in a corner. All the ones I have seen friends have are basically big square tank.. then one of the corners chopped off and putting glass in.. So 3 of the sides make right angles,,,

Halfmoon doesn't really fit in a corner. and because of it's odd shape hard to say about stocking, TECHNICALLY is wider and deeper at it's widest and deepest.. but personally feel the sides could be "cramped" since't it's small depth wise at the edges, but have seen some really cool setups utilizing the shallow corners for plumping..

And I like the blue theme idea. Sounds like it could turn out wonderful.

4. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for your input! I know the half moon couldn't fit directly into a corner; I would put that one against a flat wall if I went with it. But, the odd shape has me really wondering about stocking it. I'm trying to figure out what would and wouldn't work in it. Somehow, I'm pretty certain it wouldn't be appropriate to stock it the same way you would a normal shaped 30 gallon...

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I just picked up a 44 gal pentagon tank too! (probably the same make) Just waiting on my custom stand to be built.

I'm planning on putting it into the corner. It should fit well.

The pentagon will definitely limit stocking as it's only about 25" wide at it's widest point (corner to front straight edge). I've always wanted a corner tank, and I'm super excited to scape it. It's just so different from a rectangle tank that it's worth the loss of horizontal space, in my opinion. I'll be stocking it with smaller fish anyway.

The halfmoon 30 would need to be stocked differently than a rectangular 30 gal because of the shape. The crescent takes away some of the long edge's swimming space.

6. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Thanks, TexasDomer! I know you must be excited about your new tank! I will be too, I'm sure, if I decide to do this. So, can you tell me some more about stocking either or both of the tank options I listed above? Can I have any of the fish mentioned in the first post in this thread in either of these tanks? If I decide to do a bedroom tank, it will be to house specific fish; I'm not interested in just getting one of these tanks and getting fish to build around the tank, if that makes sense.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

No to the JD, Texas cichlid, Geophagus (unless you got one of the small species - look into Gymnogeophagus), rainbow cichlid, acara, angelfish, turquoise rainbow, and Praecox rainbowfish. The 44 gal pentagon has a very short length (though the area is nice).

What about a large school of threadfin rainbow and a school of cories?

8. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Oh, man! I was really hoping I could have at least SOMETHING from my list! lol I knew the JD, Texas, etc, was a no go, but I really had high hopes for the Angelfish and Rainbowfish in this tank! I'm not at all familiar with the species of Geophagus, or Rainbowfish that you recommended, but I'll check them both out. The only problem (assuming I like the rainbows you mentioned), this leaves me without a centerpiece fish. I really want a centerpiece if I go with this tank, I think. Is there anything you can recommend as a centerpiece that would work in this size/shape? How are you planning to stock your's?

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Gymnogeophagus is a genus. G. meridionalis stays small. With these guys though, you want to give them a few months at a low temp to simulate their natural environment. This is a need for most all in this genus.

A pair of Geophagus iporangensis might work too.

You still have lots of centerpiece options. You could easily do a dwarf cichlid pair.

I'm moving my 15 Laubuka dadiburjori and krib pair into my 44 gal.

10. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Oh wow, I've never heard of the fish you plan to stock in there with the kribs! I'll have to look them up. Hmmm...I just feel like the dwarf cichlids are small to be the centerpiece, unless there are some that I'm missing. And then there's the whole wanting to do a blue theme thing...

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What about a large school of emerald dwarf rasbora, a school of false julii cory, a blue DG (or a few blue male platies), and a pair of Bolivian rams? All bluish!

If you can find them, Xiphophorus birchmanni or X. montezumae would look nice as centerpiece fish, instead of the DG or platies.

12. JeffK Well Known Member Member

Regarding your blue theme... Apistogramma borellii come in some real deep shades of blue! There are also electric blue GBRs. Just a couple fish that came to mind...

13. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Thanks! I should have mentioned, I'm really not a gourami fan. But the rest of those suggestions, I'll have to look up!

Thank you so much for the info! I'm going to look into the dwarf cichlid and platy options a bit more. However, I really don't think either are what I want. I really want to do a larger centerpiece fish, if I'm going to do this at all. I was really thinking and hoping I could do an Angel and/or Rainbows (I don't like the Threadfins).
    @tyguy7760 and @el337, I'd like your opinions on this topic, too, if you would.

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

There are lots of other rainbowfish too, but with the tank being so short, I wouldn't do any of the larger rainbowfish.

You could always try an angelfish? But I wouldn't do more than one if you have schooling fish too.

Yes, the tank does have one small area where you get 30" across, but that's only one small area (i.e. Only an inch or two wide strip of 30" long). There's really not a lot of horizontal swimming space.

15. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

I understand, and I really appreciate your help. I really want to do an Angel, but not if it will be bad for the fish. It's something I really want, but not if it's a gamble. But, yes, I would only do one if I did go that route. What rainbowfish may work other than the threadfin?

16. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

To be honest I'm not sure that any of these tanks are going to provide you with the room for the fish you want. If you want a blue acara or jack dempsey you need to be looking at another 55 gallon. Maybe a 40 gallon breeder for the acara. If you are really set on a big centerpiece then i'd opt for waiting until the right tank came along as opposed to buying something too small for what you want and potentially being disappointed

17. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Thanks, tyguy7760! First, you're absolutely right, and I will definitely wait on buying a tank until I find one that will suit the fish I want to get! That's a definite, as I want some specific fish, and those fish are more important than just having another tank. However, I just wanted to see if either of these tanks that I found would possibly work for the fish I like.

Let me say,though, I knew that these tanks wouldn't work for any of the larger cichlids that I like. I just couldn't help but ask, anyway! But, with that being said, if I was to get either of these tanks, I woud hope for an Angel and/or Rainbowfish. What is your opinion on these fish in either of these tanks? As far as I've heard, "conventional wisdom" says that these shapes work well for Angels, but then I've also heard the opposite, that such shapes are not good for them. Anyway, since you've been so helpful in the past, and you seem to be one of the best people to ask about stocking, I wanted to hear your thoughts around these fish in these particular tanks, specifically. Thanks, again for your input!

18. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

What are the dimensions of the half moon?

19. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'll get back to you this weekend about it, when I have more time to find some smaller species.

20. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

According to the guy selling it, it's 20"x20"x20". It's only 30 gallons, though. The pentagon is 44 gallons.

Thanks, TexasDomer!