44 Gallon Tank: How is this stocking?

DMT

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Filtration: Eheim 2217, but will a 2215 suffice?
2 Angels
1 pearl gaurami
3 Apistogramma cacatuoides triple red
15 harlequin or hengels rasbora
1 fancy pleco (L066 OR L098)
6 Sterba's Cory
6 kuhli loaches

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMO, I wouldn't recommend having a gourami in there with Angels.

Best of luck with your tank

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not sure on the filters, but the stocking looks fine. The pearl gourami are great with angels, the blue might be a little to aggresive tho. What type of pleco is that, do you know how big he gets? I would reccomend one around 5 in. like the clown, bristle nose, or the rubberlip pleco.
You might consider dropping the loaches, you probably wouldn't see them much anyways

DMT

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Regarding the plecos, maybe a L066 or L098.

Might replace the Kuhlis with chain loaches then

rileyrk190

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds good, but i third the no blue gourami. I had one with my angels and it attacked it repeatedly until i separated them.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DMT said:
Regarding the plecos, maybe a L066 or L098.

Might replace the Kuhlis with chain loaches then
don't know what those plecos are either lol, but as long as they are fairly small they will be fine.

I was actually kinda thinking that they might be too much bioload in your tank so replacing them with another fish would not fix the problem. Sorry I did not make my other post very clear on what I meant

DMT

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Both stay under 5"

Will consider dropping, a group...but would love to keep them if I can, considering the filtration and the fact that it is going to be heavily planted

Thanks for all the info

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I really like the L098, but that is just me.

stock slowly and keep up on the water changes and if after you have added all your other fish and things still look good it would be fine to add that last group, the loaches or whatever you decide to add last. Just stay on top of the water changes, they can get out of control really quick.

DMT

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just looked up the prices, and a L098 costs over $1000, so probably gonna get something else. Looking forward to seeing the end result of my tank

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DMT said:
Filtration: Eheim 2217, but will a 2215 suffice?
2 Angels
1 pearl gaurami
3 Apistogramma cacatuoides triple red
15 harlequin or hengels rasbora
1 fancy pleco (L066 OR L098)
6 Sterba's Cory
6 kuhli loaches
With 6 kuhlis, you should see them regularly, and they don't contribute much to your bioload.

DMT

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would I be able to add 15 cardinals, or would it be overstocked?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In addition to your list...that's pushing it.

I wouldn't recomend keeping a pearl gourami by itself. Not that it can't be done, but they really like to have the company of their own kind. Having 2 or 3 will put this shy fish more at ease. I would suggest dropping an angel and adding 1 or 2 more pearls. Besides, if the angels pair up they can really change the dynamics of the tank.

Is a 44 big enough for breeding pairs of angels and apistos? I ask cause I don't know about breeding and not so well versed in cichlid compatibility.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd run a 2215 on a tank that size. You can never over-filter, but a 2217 is probably not needed with that stocking list.

DMT

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jaysee said:

I wouldn't recomend keeping a pearl gourami by itself. Not that it can't be done, but they really like to have the company of their own kind. Having 2 or 3 will put this shy fish more at ease. I would suggest dropping an angel and adding 1 or 2 more pearls. Besides, if the angels pair up they can really change the dynamics of the tank.

Is a 44 big enough for breeding pairs of angels and apistos? I ask cause I don't know about breeding and not so well versed in cichlid compatibility.
So an angel should be fine by itself? and 2 pearl gouramis? Would be interested in getting info regarding the apistos compatibility as well

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just got a bought a pair of apistos (from harpua) for my 45, which has 3 pearl gouramis. I believe angels are fine by themselves, but wait for someone else for a better answer.

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How about stocking with an Asian theme?

Hengels Rasbora school (will look great)
Dwarf Gourami pair
4 Indian Red Tail Squirrel Loaches or [the great entertainers] Panda Garra
Badis Badis (I believe they are semi-cichlid like in personality)
Sawbwa Barb or [group of small Danios that will be ok in a 44g, some need 4ft long tanks, my Pearls are hyper-active)

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a pearl, a blue and two angels in a tank with no troubles. They are young though and it is 400litres.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DMT said:
Just looked up the prices, and a L098 costs over $1000, so probably gonna get something else. Looking forward to seeing the end result of my tank
Yeah I was wondering about that, I was thinking they were very expensive

DMT said:
So an angel should be fine by itself? and 2 pearl gouramis? Would be interested in getting info regarding the apistos compatibility as well
The angel should be fine and the two pearls with it would be fine. I don't know a hole lot about the apistos but I think two or three would be ok

claudicles said:
I have a pearl, a blue and two angels in a tank with no troubles. They are young though and it is 400litres.
The reason this worked for you was most likely the large tank, it gave plenty of room for each fish to have their space and the temperment of each individual fish can very from fish to fish.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jaysee said:

one pair at a time i would think so

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Heres a great site for apisto's.
https://www.dwarfcichlid.com/index.php
I'm working on a apisto 46 gallon tank myself, and if I were you I would only do a pair. Also be sure to have a section of the tank that is heavily planted for them.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads