43 Gallon Electric Yellow Cichlid Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Jake the Fish, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

I have decided to make it just and electric yellow tank, but with some catfish. I've narrowed my catfish down to two, pictus or bristlenoses. What one would you recommend? I am leaning more towards bristlenoses as my LFS has them.

How many of what catfish should I get?

I have driftwood, a Texas Holey Rock and a terracotta pot. I am also trying to get another rock or two.

Any other catfish suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jake

2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

A BN will work with Electric Yellows no problem but I would much rather 3-4 Cuckoo Catfish (Synodontis Multipunctatus) They came from the rift lakes, look stunning, are active during the day when kept in a group of 3 or more & having amazing breeding habits. They actually slip thier eggs in with a breeding pair of cichlids while the egg laying & fertilizing is taking place. The cichlids raise the catfish as if they were thier own young.

They are much more golden & spectacular than the profile pic shows them.
    You can still have a BN with these guys if you have the room.

3. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Do they get to the same size as Electric Yellows?

4. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

ooohhhhh, Nutter I want one..... gorgeous 'lil guy, he even looks like he has fur :) :) :) :)

My MTS is going to drive me insane, 6ft reef or 6ft cichlid as my next tank...........

5. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

I saw it gets to 6 inches. So I have decided!

About 12 Electric Yellows
    2 Cuckoo Cats
    1 BN Pleco

Thanks Nutter

6. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

They get a little bigger than the Yellow Labs/Electric Yellows but they will all get along fine. I find the Cuckoos usually stay a little under the 6" mark in an aquarium. They are usually more like 4 1/2" - 5".

If you think you can squeeze 3 Cuckoos in Jake, do so. They will be much happier & more active that way. Two will still be ok, you just won't see them as often. Maybe cut down to 10 Electric Yellows & fit the extra Cuckoo in.

7. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Yeah that sounds good. So my FINAL list is:

10 Electric Yellows
    3 Cuckoo Cats
    1 BN Pleco

If I get rid of the BN could I add another cichlid?

8. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Yes but it would have to be an Electric Yellow. A one off wouldn't do well in a group of another species. Perhaps something like this would suit you better:

1m & 4f Electric Yellows
    1m & 4f M. Johannii
    3 x S. Multipunctatus
    1 x BN

If you have adequate filtration & don't mind doing an extra water change each week that combination would work & would give you more variety of colours. Something to think about anyway. In the future it would mean an upgrade to a 55 gal tank. That would be much more suitable for Mbuna.

Even better would be the above list but with Pseudotropheus Socolofi instead of M. Johannii. You might be able to get away with not upgrading the tank then as the P. Socolofi stay around 4" & I find them much more peacefull than most seem to think they are.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice