40l Cube Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fran3112

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi, apologies for asking lots of questions but I want to get it right...

I’m going to purchase a 40l cube tank. I thought I would get 4 or 5 guppies... I know the tank capacity is fine for these, but I’m a bit nervous about the shape, as it’s not long. Would they still have enough swimming room?

I’d like my tank to be a lovely place for the fish, not an ok one.

So I’d also like to know about chilli rasboras. What would these be like to keep in a cube tank? I have two horned snails that will go in there too, and I am keen on a couple of small shrimps if that wouldn’t be too much.

I’m going to purchase the tank next week and start fishless cycling... I’m sure I’ll have even more questions then!

I’m upgrading from a not really fit for much 15l biorb life. Can I use the stones and plastic plants from this?

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are the dimensions of the cube?

UglyAsian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So this is the stocking
10 gallon cube
4-5 guppies
shrimp
chili rasboras
snails
Honesty, that won't work.
You might not be able to do chilis, due to the cube space
Shrimp like live plants, and usually die without
maybe 3 guppies and shrimp in a planted tank?

Fran3112

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry I wasn’t clear, I meant either guppies or rasbora. Definitely not both.

Based on what you’ve said about shrimp I think I’ll give them a miss.

So it’s guppies or rasbora - which fish would be better for 10l tank. I’m very keen not to overstock but don’t have lots of room for a larger tank.

Will guppies be happy in a 40l cube, or do they need a long tank.

I already have the snails so maybe 3 or 4 guppies plus the tiny snails?

Or some rasbora with the tiny snails?

Would you go for guppies or rasbora

UglyAsian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would say guppies. Wow, you definitely do care about fish. Rasboras need swimming space more than guppies, so guppies

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is a cube tank the OP wants to use. The less active the better! What are the dimensions of this cube? If it's 10 gallons and a perfect cube then each side would have to be just over 13 inches. That's really not very much swimming room.

Fran3112

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tank is 34x34x40cm. Is that going to be too small for guppies?

SaltySeaLion

Valued Member
Reaction score
What is that, like a five gallon tank?

That’s pretty small, to be honest. You might be able to put a single pea puffer in there, but I’m not sure about guppies.

Edit: okay, it’s ten gallons if it’s a 40 liter. If so, that should be okay for guppies, IMO.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The volume is fine but being a cube the dimensions are not. I wouldn't keep guppies in there TBH.

Fran3112

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know the volume is ok, but whether it’s ok at those dimensions, i.e for happy swimming space is what’s concerning me.

I really want to get it right as I’ve been given bad advice before and currently have danios in an unsuitable tank. Im going to rehome them and now I want to make sure I don’t make the same mistake again, so am being quite obsessive to get it right!

Thank you. Is there any fish that would be good or do I need to rethink the tank? I have limited space, one area that would fit a cube and is near a sink, and one area where I could do a long one, but it would have to be less than 29cm wide, which I’m struggling to find in my budget. (Looking secondhand)

Ok, I’d need to save up but the super fish home 40l I would be able to fit in my space I think, it’s 45cm x 25cm and 42.5 high. Would this one be suitable?

Last edited by a moderator:

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok, I’d need to save up but the super fish home 40l I would be able to fit in my space I think, it’s 45cm x 25cm and 42.5 high. Would this one be suitable?
Uk ? Do you use shpock ? Lots of tanks on there better than the fish home things, for cheap too. Ive had some steals off shpock.

Fran3112

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Never tried it, I’ll have a look - thanks

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What about celestial pearl danios? They're very tiny and beautiful! I would pick from a nano fish list myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 54 65.9%

Top Bottom