40l Aquaponics - New Project

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by faintingfish, Dec 25, 2018.

1. faintingfish

faintingfishNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Purchased (for the wife) a 40L tank and Aquasprouts system for a bit of interest (and hopefully fresh herbs for the kitchen). I believe the Aquasprouts system adds some extra water to the system which cycles through, though it doesn't add extra space for fish. Haven't kept any fish in a long while and never really researched anything so doing things with rhyme and reason is new.

Planning to start the cycle this week and plan out what will go into the tank, hopefully I'll be able to update this thread as things go along. If I understand correctly I can add live plants during the cycle?

Will be adding a heater and filter etc as require. Guessing a HOB style will be fine as the Aquasprouts system advises it isn't essential - though many users disagree.

I have checked out AqAdvisor and 10g fish ideas (similar to 40L) and considering something like;
    7 neon tetras
    5 pygmy corydoras
    5 Red Cherry Shrimp
    Was hoping maybe a betta too.

All this gets to 98% on AqAdvisor based on our 40L tank.

a male betta has a warning with the shrimp and two shoals.
    female just it can be aggressive - maybe a female is an option?

Any comments. will add fish in stages so advise on ordering that would be appreciated

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Neons are usually recommended for a 20 gallon since they are active swimmers. Pygmy cories though small are pretty hyper as well and are a mid to low swimming fish not necessarily a bottom dweller. Bettas aren't recommended to be in s community tank till you get to 20 either. That and betta are tropical fish (80*) and neons and pygmies are subtropic (mid 70's)
    This may give you some ideas.

Stocking options for 10 gallons

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  3. FiscCyning

FiscCyningWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +157
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    David1978 gave great advice already, but I would just add that if you want small cories that are more traditional bottom dwellers you can go with corydoras habrosus. They’re another dwarf Cory but they’re not so much mid level swimmers like the pygmy cories are.

I’d say either get a betta with cherry shrimp (depending on the betta’s temperament) and/or a snail. You could potentially do the betta and habrosus together, but again that would depend upon the betta’s temperament and is in no way a guarantee, especially in such a small tank. Some can do fine with cories and shrimp, but others will kill anything in their tank. If you’re doing a betta, I’d suggest going light on the tankmates (and nothing but bottom dwellers) so it has quiet spaces in the tank without having other creatures every place it turns. Your goal is to limit stress so he doesn’t get frustrated and go on a killing spree if he snaps. Either way, only do a betta with other creatures if you have a backup plan to remove either the betta or its victims to another tank.

Another option would be to do the dwarf cories (either habrosus or pygmy) with another species of small fish like endlers or similar. The shape of the tank may not be ideal for cories though, as even the dwarf species do best in 15 gallon tank footprints or larger. A tall tank with a small footprint will greatly limit your stocking options.

4. OP
    OP
    faintingfish

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the comments. I based my post on what I read on the tanks website and limiting selection on that tool to calculate tank loading.

What we are looking for is shrimp, a school of fish, a solo type fish and a fish or school at the bottom. Will be difficult with the tank size I know! I'll do some more research, problem with those long lists is I have no idea about any of the fish, size, tank requirements. Hopefully I get some time tomorrow and can try again. I saw dwarf green tetras, so maybe those with dwarf corries and a lone fish in the middle of some kind that's more friendly than a betta

5. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you are having shrimp I wouldn't do a bottom dweller. It would be crowded to have both. What about something like green neon tetras or ember tetras with a honey gourami?

6. OP
    OP
    faintingfish

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks. Something like that seems like a good mix of what we want and what fits in a 10g. Will see what's available.

One question, will both those tetras school together if we got half and half? I've read some will and some won't.

7. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    No they will not school together.

8. OP
    OP
    faintingfish

Ratings:
    +4
    So the tank has some substate and is cycling currently, couldn't go the sand I wanted as the pump for the aquaponics bed above requires a coarse substrate.
    I have a couple of pieces of driftwood and some plants coming in the next week, still need to get a rock/cave type ornament.

Looking at getting celestial pearl danios (around 10)
    Ninja or Red Cherry Shrimp (5-6)
    Honey Gourami (1 or 2).
    With one Gourami my stocking is 81% on aqadvisor with two 95%
    My question is with the Gourami I have read it will be happier with two however it takes me to near 100%. Will the benefits of a friend outweigh the negatives of been more highly stocked?
    I am planning to start with either the Gourami and shrimp or Danios and Shrimp once cycling is complete and then add the other species.

I haven't been able to find anywhere with green Neon tetras. Embers might be available so could replace the danios.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  9. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,930
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Honey gouramis need to be kept in groups however they meed 20 gallons minimum.
    You could do sparkling gouramis (sometimes called pygmy gouramis or croaking gouramis) instead but they hunt shrimp.

10. FiscCyning

FiscCyningWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +157
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    A dwarf gourami could work instead of the honey, as it would fit in your tank size. Apparently they may snack on baby shrimp but leave the adults alone, although I’ve never personally kept them with shrimp so I’m just passing along other hobbyists’ reports.

Also, I wouldn’t recommend adding the shrimp until last, as they’re sensitive to water quality and you need to make sure your new tank is stable before adding them. I believe CPD also need fairly stable water conditions.

11. OP
    OP
    faintingfish

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the tip. I'll hold off on the shrimp either way.

I read that the sparkling gouramis do much better in schools where as the Honey Gourami could be single with some other species tank mates and be happy. I seem to be going in circles.

The mountains of information out there is very confusing and so much is to contradictory.

12. OP
    OP
    faintingfish

Ratings:
    +4
    IMG_20190107_131129.

Think I need some tips on aquarium photography.

Need a piece of rock to hide the pump to the garden bed on top. And probably get some artistic skills.

Couldn't get any ammonia from local fish stores (they seemed perplexed at the idea) so trusting fluval biological booster will do the trick when I add fish.