40l (10g) tank, how many corydoras

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Raab228, Jul 27, 2015.

1. R

Raab228 New Member Member

Hi I'm new to Loki g after corys and have a tank under cycle and setting up. I was wondering how many of each corys I could keep in it like 6 albino or 7 panda p. Any ideas would help. Also what plants do people use

cheers :)

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to inform you but cories wont work in a 10 gallon, you'll need at least a 20 gallon as cories are schooling fish and you need at least six of them.

3. OP
    OP
    R

Raab228 New Member Member

Meant looking after corys * lol

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yeah, no cories in the 10 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!!! Haha, sure you didn't mean Loki? ;) I'm a huge fan of Loki! :D

Yeah, cories are best off in a 20g or larger. While there are some more "iffy" corydora types that might be more suitable for a 10g than others, cories are best left off the list of fish for a 10g. Sorry. :)

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you're looking for a clean up crew, you could do snails or shrimp!

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Yes, no cory will work in a 10g. I would do asian stone catfish or species in the Akysis genus if you want catfish in a 10g.

8. Jobofett808

Jobofett808 Valued Member Member

How about Pygmy Cory?

A-L-O-H-A

JOBOfett808 (Hawai'i)

9. Anders247

Those are too active for a 10, as are the other types of dwarf cories.

10. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Tadpole madtoms might work, but will have a much lower temp requirement than most tropical fish.

11. M

Mark321 New Member Member

My pal keeps his breeding groups of Corys in x2 54Litre tanks.
    7 in each, Pandas.
    The tanks don't look crowded, the fish spawn at the drop of a hat and they look happy as Larry.
    On the flip side of that..
    Where we live we have pretty much perfect tap water for Corys.
    Both of those tanks get a water change every 48 hours.
    They are species tanks, no other tank mates.
    They are extremely well filtered with external filters packed with loads of bio-home media.
    He has the tanks lovingly planted, floating plants too, lovely driftwood, well aerated, yet gentle flow through spray bars.
    The stock he produces go to LFS's within a 100 mile radius, he's well known.
    He loves what he does, proof Corys can live happily and spawn in small tanks, but he knows what he's doing to the max.
    Would I try keeping Corys in a 54L tank? Nope.
    In a 40L tank, not in a million years.
    If I had a 40L I'd fill it with wood and ferns and moss, cycle it then start stocking with Shrimp.

12. Anders247

A 54 is a 15 gallon.... if it's the 24 by 12 type then it makes sense....

13. M

Mark321 New Member Member

Exactly Anders.
    It's probably nearer to 14 than 15 US Gallons isn't it?
    Seems the opinion here is that my pal is doing it wrong, he doesn't have 20 Gallon tanks!
    I'm curious now as to why my pal uses 54L tanks LOL. I mean he has fry and grow out tanks much bigger than that. I'll text him.

14. Anders247

Yeah.... a 14 gal has the same footprint as a 20 high, so it's fine for some types of cories. Not all though....

15. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

When we discuss tank size for fish, especially cories, it's more an issue of the tank's footprint than anything else. Your buddy's 54L tanks have sufficient footprint for the (small species) cories he's breeding in them. Nothing at all wrong with that. It also sounds like your friend really knows his stuff and is not a beginner at this.

A lot of the users here asking questions *are* in fact beginners, so we tend to be cautious when advising what size tank to keep fish in.

I personally have my C. habrosus in an 8 gallon tank right now. It's only about 1/2 full, too. The footprint is sufficient to house them through the rest of their quarantine, and then I'm moving them to my guppy tank which has the same footprint as a 20 gallon. However even for quarantine, when advising new fishkeepers on what to do with the same fish, I would suggest a ten gallon, well filtered quarantine and a 20 gallon permanent home for the very same fish.

It all comes down to experience and how much maintenance you're willing to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice