40g What To Go With Zebra Dani Is / Cor Cats

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Scott T, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Scott TNew MemberMember

I have a 40 g breeder with 12 zebra Dani is and 6 bronze cory cats. What would be a good fit for another 3 or 4 fish that get up to 4" maybe?

2. FreshestFreshwaterValued MemberMember

3. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Depends on what you want, but you do have room in your tank! What about a group of 3-4 keyholes?

4. Scott TNew MemberMember

I also like to have plants in my tank. I currently have some anubius, bacopa, and wisteria.

5. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Keyholes are fine with plants :)

What kind of fish do you want?

6. Scott TNew MemberMember

I guess I would call it a center piece fish sort off. I just want to add 3 or 4 more fish that get to be about 4" long, get along well with my other fish. My tank is fairly open. Was looking at some videos of some Keyholes. They do look pretty cool.

7. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

They would fit your bill for size and temperament :)

8. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Keyholes are awesome fish. I had some 30+ years ago and they were great community fish. I need to make room for some in one of my tanks in the near future.

Congo Tetras are also another I was considering.

A pair of Electric Blue Acaras would work in a 40g breeder. They can grow 4-6" but very docile for cichlids.

9. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

EBAs may eat danios though. They can fit rummynose in their mouths, and danios aren't that much bigger. Keyholes won't eat danios though. There are other dwarf cichlids and some gouramis that would work too, though.

10. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Danios get a bit bigger than rummynoses, no? I was thinking some juvenile EBAs, about 2". That will give both time to grow.

11. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Not really, maybe a tad bit longer. And even buying young EBA won't solve the problem long term - they do grow, and fish will often eat other fish if they can fit it in their mouths, regardless of having grown up with them. I wouldn't risk it, personally.