Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just wanted to double check if what I have here is okay for a 40G

15x Neon Tetra
1x Dwarf Gourami
6x Corydora (not sure which species tet
Cherry Shrimp Colony

If possible I'd like to have more mid/top level species. Also curious how much a colony of cherry shrimp will limit adding more fish, since they breed like crazy and all. I'm willing to limit them by adding just one gender in order to fit more other fishes. Or just roll with Amanos

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The shrimp shouldn't be a problem breeding-wise, but make sure you have lots of cover or the DG will have a tasty snack. I believe you could have a mid or top level fish or school, but you should wait for the stocking experts to tell you.

OP
A

andybui

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Think I could do 15 neons and 15 ember (or other) tetra? Or just keep it one. Assuming I decide to add more.

I plan on adding my DG last after ay other species have developed specifically cherry shrimp self sustaining their loses even after DG muchies.

Travis Bradbury

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a DG kill 10 of my fully grown neon tetras, afew rummynose tetras. and he went for my adult guppys.
He'd wait till its night and their sleeping, then attack them. I WATCHED him do it.
Never touched my shrimp.
Becareful

OP
A

andybui

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm thinking Sterba or Albino. My substrate is darker and I like their look. I'm on the fence with Albinos because they're both cute and creepy.

A female DG has beautiful colours and would love to have one in my tank. I'll make sure to keep an eye out if its aggressive and return it to my LFS if it's too aggro.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you go with neons, go with the albinos. Sterbai don't have much temp overlap with neons.

Female DGs are actually pretty colorless - they're mostly a silverish color. You probably want a male Unless you really like the silver?

OP
A

andybui

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh! That's makes it a lot easier. IllI just roll with Albinos then, thank you! I also will be getting a male one. For some reason I thought I read that females were the more vibrsnt ones.

Now to decide if I want 2 species of tetra or not.

Thank you for all your help!

OP
A

andybui

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do Cardinal Tetras suffer from something similar to NTD? I feel like I see a lot more issues getting a healthy school of Neons verse Cardinals.

Also, are there any larger 4-6 inch mid-upper tank fish I can add instead of the DG that's vibrant in colour and friendly with the smaller fishes? I have a lot of little fishes and feel like a single larger will be a nice contrast.

If not, how bad of an idea is it to add 2 DGs?

Last edited:

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm sure they could have something similar, but it does seem that some cardinals can be sensitive. It seems that people have more issues with neons than cardinals around here, though.

Can you remind me what you've settled on for stocking so far then? That'll affect your centerpiece options.

Definitely don't add two male DGs. Very bad. You're sentencing one to death.

OP
A

andybui

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I currently have in a 40g tank
3 abino corydoras, 3 unexpected green jubii corydoras (little bros got them)
6 neon tetras.
1 Common goldfish from my grandma that will be rehomed.

A dwarf Gourami as a centerpiece but might switch out for a bigger fish option if there is one.

Ill either have 15 neons or 15 cardinals.
I'm thinking about adding 15 of another school, just not sure which one, maybe embers.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There's no such thing as green julii cory as far as I'm aware. Do you mean green cories (C. splendens) or false juliis?

I would rehome one species of cory and add more of the other.

Rehoming the goldie as soon as possible.

Since you have neons, just add neons. Don't add cardinals.

Embers would work! Harlequin rasbora or cherry barbs would also be good options.

OP
A

andybui

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@TexasDomer The goldfish has been rehomed and I've decided to keep the green cories. The albino and green cories hangout with each other a lot

Now some family members want their own fish in the tank. I made sure they were compatible but unfortunately probably have to sacrifice my original stocking goal.

New additions being 2 guppies and 1 red tailed shark; though supposedly semi-aggessive is quite timid. Worried about the size and it becoming more aggressive the bigger it gets

I'm assuming this is my tank limit not so no DG and probably just 15 tetras.

(6 corydoras, 6 tetras, RCS, 2 guppies, 1 red tailed shark atm)

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, they swim together, but it's not as good for them as being with more of their own species. I would strongly recommend adding more. If you won't rehome one species, at least add more so there are 6 of each species.

Red tailed shark needs a larger tank, and he will get aggressive as he ages. I'd return him now before he starts killing your fish.

You have room for more tetras. A DG would be fine, but I'd rehome the shark first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom