40g Tank-Betta Fish Compatability?

Newt

Reaction score
I have a 40g breeder tank with a sand bottom and some pennywort, soon to be more plants, rocks, and wood. This is the first tank i've cared for, so the hardier and more open to beginner error the fish are, the better! Anyway i've looked at tons and tons of different kinds of freshwater fish this last few months and honestly, bettas are still my favorite! I'd like to keep 1 male betta + some cory cats or kuhli loaches. Otherwise i'm open to suggestion! It would be nice to keep some kind of schooling fish, but I don't want any drama between the betta and other tankmates. I've seen mixed opinions online about what bettas can put up with/not be nipped at by. Understocking isn't a problem for me, as I like the tranquility of a tank with lots of plants and just a few fish. I'm not picky about what schooling fish it is, just whatever is best so that everyone can get along. Thanks so much!

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Instead of a domesticated betta, maybe look at other species of betta that are not domesticated like Betta imbellis, Betta channoides, or Betta albimarginata.. Wild bettas have far less health issues than domesticated store bettas.You could do a group of one of those, some espei rasboras and some kuhli loaches. The wild bettas would appreciate the plants :)

OP
N

Newt

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Instead of a domesticated betta, maybe look at other species of betta that are not domesticated like Betta imbellis, Betta channoides, or Betta albimarginata.. Wild bettas have far less health issues than domesticated store bettas.You could do a group of one of those, some espei rasboras and some kuhli loaches. The wild bettas would appreciate the plants :)
How interesting! I'd never thought of something like this. I'll definitely look into it :D

Do you think shrimp could cohabitate with everything in a setup like this? Or could I keep Kuhli Loaches and Corydoras together?

Possible Setup:

lots of plants, spiderwood, cholla wood
1 Betta
6+ glowlight tetras
6+ lambchop rasboras
3 kuhli loaches
6 corydoras
5 nerite snails

New Threads