40g planned stocking list!!

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by ravenxcore, Aug 8, 2014.

1. r

ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

So now that my tank is actually right, after two months of battling high ammonia levels, fish dying, and a filter that clogged over night (which I thought disrupt my cycle but didn't), I can finally be excited that I can soon start completing my stock. Unfortunately it looks like it's going to take me about 3 months to add the fish I would like, for a few reason's but I'll mention those after I post what I've finally settled on.

I spent hours on hours considering what I would stock my 40g catfish only tank with, and I've finally come up with a satisfied with!

My current stock is...
    1 neon laser cory
    (going to re-home. Can't seem to find any store that carries these, and feel bad that he's alone, (his "mate" died)
    1 emerald green cory
    2 unidentified cory (bought these two together before I knew anything about cory's, aka didn't know there were more than one types, so for a month I just thought they were corydoras. Now unfortunately, I cannot tell which type of cory they are because they hide a lot. I thought they we're Agassiz, which is why I bought 2, but realized they don't look alike. They might be bronze, or juli, or some type of spotted, have no clue so I can't complete there shoal)
    2 Agassiz cory
    2 adolfoi cory
    4 albino cory

Final planned Stock...
    4 emerald green cory's
    2 unidentified corys
    5 Agassiz corys
    4 adolfoi corys
    (if I can find them, if not will add another Emerald or two)
    5 albino corys
    4 upside down catfish
    3 pictus catfish

I plan to add the remaining 8 corys over the next month, I'm going to purchase them by the species, quarantine each group for 48 hours, than add 1-2 every 12/24hrs, and test in between.Once the corys are settled, I have to purchase a few additional hiding places, caves, rocks, etc... they don't like the "cave" I have for some reason. (fake "broken" bottle)
    I'll add the upside down's about 2 weeks after all corys, quarantine for 72+ hours (short quarantine period because my Qt tank is a 10g with only a filter & air stone & heater... literally nothing else, no d├ęcor, substrate... nothing. Kinda feel bad for the fish who are hanging out in it lol. Also my heater is petco brand and kinda sucks so being my ac blasts directly on the QT tank, even with the heater, I'm lucky to keep my temps @ 72-73 degrees, while my 40g tank stays around 76-78 degrees, and it's only three feet to the left of the QT lol. weird. I hate this part, but before I can even think about buying my Pictus' I need to purchase a canister filter with filtration of 200 gallons or more (I like to have WAY more than I need), (can anybody recommend a good canister 180 gals min that doesn't suck & isn't super expensive?) I'm expecting to pay about $200, but would very much like to pay a whole lot less lol. $120 - $150 would be very nice. USD.

Even after I get a new canister filter, I have to remove one of my two HOB filters, install the canister, wait a week or two before removing my 2nd hob filter, than another week or two to make sure my tank cycle doesn't go banana's!!!

Holy , so that means I have to wait for about 2 - 3 months to get my Pictus!!!

*Pouty face*

If I'm going about this all wrong, let me know lol!

Also, are the Pictus going to "annoy" my corys? I've been watching video's of them and I see they are pretty active bottom swimmers, should I not have a ton of small decorations? should I clear more bottom swimming area for them?

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Corys should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own kind so I'd adjust the stocking to do that & leave out at least one shoal, probably the adolfoi as they're hard to find, or leave out 2 shoals & have bigger numbers of the others, they'll look more impressive in larger groups & you'll see more natural behaviour
    You're stocking is very bottom heavy & once the corys settle in you'll find yourself looking at what seems like an empty tank a lot of the time as they're more active in the evenings & night unless there's food around.
    If you can get clear pics of the two unidentified cory we'll try & Id them for you

3. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

they dont need to be 'of thier own kind' you can stock it like so, theyll be comfortable and shoal together. im assuming its a 40br?

i do suggest removing pictus.

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I have to disagree, just because they're all corys does not mean they will shoal together, they will interact with each other if in small numbers as they have no choice but given the choice they will seek out their own kind.
    You also run the risk of interbreeding if kept in small groups of mixed kinds.

5. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

shoaling is a defense mechanism. if you dont have predators they wont shoal. similar to schooling. you run the risk of interbreeding anyways with any ammount of different species

6. OP
    OP
    r

I also have to disagree. I have 12 (species above) corys currently and all of them dont shoal. They hang out in cuddle piles but only matching species really swim together.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    r

School*

8. OP
    OP
    r

I know my stock is bottom heavy, but im absolutely addicted to catfish so even just seeing them come out rarely to do the wiggle dance is enough for me :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice