40G "Breeder Tank"

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ClearEyes, Jul 21, 2015.

1. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

So I succumbed to Petsmart's $1/gallon sale and got a new 40G tank today. Just couldn't resist the price, especially with the online discount. But it's labelled as a "Breeder tank". Why?

I don't have any plans to use it as a breeder tank. As far as I can tell, it's just the same as my 20G High, just twice as long. Is there any reason I can't just use it as an upgrade for my 20G H to increase my stocking options? Or start a new cichlid tank, which I've also been contemplating. Am I missing something?

2. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

It is labeled as a breeder tank because of the width. Nothing to do with the actual tank or use.

3. OP
    OP
    ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

What about the width makes it a breeder tank?

4. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

The tank is wider that most tanks, your 40 breeder is 18" wide, and a standard 40gal is usually around 13" wide.

5. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

If a small tank is 18 inches wide, it is considered a breeder. There are 30, 40,and 50 gallon breeders. 40 being the most popular. The extra width makes fish feel more comfortable, less cramped, and makes breeding them easier in some cases. Some fish will literally breed in a 5 gallon bucket. Others need the right conditions to get them to spawn. Hence breeder tanks.

I think 40 breeders work out to be just under 50 gallons of water, with no substrate or decorations. Why the call them 40's is beyond me.

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

The 40 Breeder tank actually has a bigger footprint than a standard 55 gallon tank. It's 36x18, whereas the 55 is 48x13.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

A lot of people prefer breeder tanks, due to all of the surface area. Breeder tanks are more user friendly for some people because of the lower height.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice