40g breeder tank (no cross bar) and versa-top 2 part 36 x 18 lid

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Talaysen, Jul 23, 2015.

1. TalaysenNew MemberMember

Hey guys,

I ordered a versa top lid (36 x 18) for my 40g breeder, not realizing that it comes in two parts.
    My tank doesn't have a center brace. It's not 'missing it' or 'broken', it just simply wasn't manufactured with one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making the two part versa-top lid work?
    I need some kind of center support, was wondering if anyone here has encountered this before and what the recommendation might be.

2. Gvilleguy

GvilleguyValued MemberMember

I have that exact lid on my 40 gallon breeder - it's been a year and a half since I assembled it, but didn't it come with 4 pieces? Two pieces of glass, each 36" wide, the middle rubber/plastic hinge for attaching the glass pieces to each other, and a 2 inch strip of plastic to cover the back gap? I don't think you need a center brace.

3. OP
    OP
    T

TalaysenNew MemberMember

Honestly, I haven't opened it yet.

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]36" x 18"[/TD]
    [TD]50 / 65 gallon,
    requires center brace[/TD]
    [TD]2 - 16-7/8" x 14-3/4" panels[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Model #: CD-930845

They didn't have the lid with the two 36" pieces.
    Got it from:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3790

4. Gvilleguy

Yikes. I have the:

36" 30 gallon / 40H 35-1/8" x 9-1/2"

And it works great on the 40 gallon breeder size. I'm not sure how you should handle the double wide configuration lid...

5. OP
    OP
    T

TalaysenNew MemberMember

I think I'm gonna get a thin steel bar from home depot and cut it to fit, should be enough to support the two glass pieces. :\

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Let me know how it goes for you... I actually ordered the same thing for my 40B a couple days on Amazon and I got the same thing. Now I'm in the same predicament...

7. OP
    OP
    T

TalaysenNew MemberMember

Well, I picked up  , from the hardware isle.
    I cut them down to size and put them on my tank and it worked perfectly.

That link is to the exact product that I purchased for myself.
    I'm also using a 36-48" Marineland LED light bar, and the height of that 'L' aluminum bar doesn't interfere with the light. I have two of the bars side-by-side in an.. upside down 'T' shape.

The angled aluminum is the best option because, as opposed to a flat bar, it provides far superior support because of it's shape.

IMG_0926.jpgIMG_0928.jpg

I'm so happy with this. I was able to finally fill the tank up to the top, and the noise from the outtake from the canister filter is GONE! It's -slightly submerged in the raised water level but seems to be running smoothly, so I'm going to run with it.

The fish seem happier. The marineland LED light (which I also have on each of my ten-gallons) has a day setting and a night setting, and the fish seem to appreciate the night setting. Without it, this room is pretty dark.

8. Gvilleguy

Nice ingenuity! The lids look great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice