40g breeder tank (no cross bar) and versa-top 2 part 36 x 18 lid

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Talaysen, Jul 23, 2015.

1. TalaysenNew MemberMember

Hey guys,

I ordered a versa top lid (36 x 18) for my 40g breeder, not realizing that it comes in two parts.
    My tank doesn't have a center brace. It's not 'missing it' or 'broken', it just simply wasn't manufactured with one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making the two part versa-top lid work?
    I need some kind of center support, was wondering if anyone here has encountered this before and what the recommendation might be.

2. GvilleguyValued MemberMember

I have that exact lid on my 40 gallon breeder - it's been a year and a half since I assembled it, but didn't it come with 4 pieces? Two pieces of glass, each 36" wide, the middle rubber/plastic hinge for attaching the glass pieces to each other, and a 2 inch strip of plastic to cover the back gap? I don't think you need a center brace.

3. TalaysenNew MemberMember

Honestly, I haven't opened it yet.

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]36" x 18"[/TD]
    [TD]50 / 65 gallon,
    requires center brace[/TD]
    [TD]2 - 16-7/8" x 14-3/4" panels[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Model #: CD-930845

They didn't have the lid with the two 36" pieces.
    Got it from:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3790

4. GvilleguyValued MemberMember

Yikes. I have the:

36" 30 gallon / 40H 35-1/8" x 9-1/2"

And it works great on the 40 gallon breeder size. I'm not sure how you should handle the double wide configuration lid...

5. TalaysenNew MemberMember

I think I'm gonna get a thin steel bar from home depot and cut it to fit, should be enough to support the two glass pieces. :\

6. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Let me know how it goes for you... I actually ordered the same thing for my 40B a couple days on Amazon and I got the same thing. Now I'm in the same predicament...

7. TalaysenNew MemberMember

Well, I picked up , from the hardware isle.
    I cut them down to size and put them on my tank and it worked perfectly.

That link is to the exact product that I purchased for myself.
    I'm also using a 36-48" Marineland LED light bar, and the height of that 'L' aluminum bar doesn't interfere with the light. I have two of the bars side-by-side in an.. upside down 'T' shape.

The angled aluminum is the best option because, as opposed to a flat bar, it provides far superior support because of it's shape.

IMG_0926.jpgIMG_0928.jpg

I'm so happy with this. I was able to finally fill the tank up to the top, and the noise from the outtake from the canister filter is GONE! It's -slightly submerged in the raised water level but seems to be running smoothly, so I'm going to run with it.

The fish seem happier. The marineland LED light (which I also have on each of my ten-gallons) has a day setting and a night setting, and the fish seem to appreciate the night setting. Without it, this room is pretty dark.

8. GvilleguyValued MemberMember

Nice ingenuity! The lids look great.