40g Breeder tank build and progress!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Huskiesandfishies, Jul 23, 2015.

1. H

Huskiesandfishies Valued Member Member

Hello, I am currently in the process of "trying" to cycle my 40g breeder, I've came across a few hiccups with my ammonia rising and not knowing why or what to do, and still in the progress of trying to fix it and get this thing cycled. Its a little bare as I haven't decorated or scaped it with anything yet. It has 2 AC 70s and a sponge filter, with 60 lbs of tahitian moon sand. Dont mind the mess with cords right now! ;P

Here is a picture of it setup so far... (Probably going to change out that blue o2 and get a black background by the end)

Here's a series of my readings and what I've done so far..

First picture is my ammonia reading from the tap water.

Ammonia from tap.jpeg
    Second picture, 1 Hour after dosing 1 mL of Clear ammonia by austins
    Ammonia hour after 1 mL add.jpeg
    3rd Pictures, Day 2, 24 hours after dosing 1 mL Ammonia
    Ammonia reading 24 hours after add.jpeg
    Day 3, For some reason the ammonia spiked off the chart.
    Readings day 3.jpg
    Day 4, Ammonia still rising for an unknown reason
    Readings day 4.jpg
    Day 4, Did a 60-70 % water change, Ammonia reading after 1 hour after refilling and added Stability
    Readings day 4 1 hour after 60-70% wc.jpg

This is my progress so far and will post my results daily for my readings, hoping to get this thing cycled!

(Sorry for the double attachment I'm kind of lost on how to delete one!!!)

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    H

Readings from day 5, Ammonia doesnt seem to have increased from yesterday so far! Readings day 5.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    H

And... 12 hours later... getting darker and nitrites rising..
    Readings day 5 12 hours later.jpg

4. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Everything is new right? And you have ammonia in your tap water. You have only added 1ml of ammonia to this tank?

5. OP
    OP
    H

I added more at the very beginning, did a 50% wc, then 80%, then 80% Still reading high, so drained completely as much as possible, refilled and dosed 1mL Ammonia... Did about a 60-70% Wc yesterday, and here I am lol

I think I am going to drain it again, reset it in another room, and refill without dosing ammonia and retest an hour later, and then again tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  6. BDpups

I think I got it. But just to make sure...

You have all new equipment?
    Your tap water has ammonia in it?

You dosed 1ml ammonia on day one. The ppm for ammonia went off the chart. You then did water changes... And then drained the tank and started over.

After the re-start, you dosed 1ml of ammonia again, and the ppm of ammonia are going off the chart again for no apparent reason?

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

She used some cleaning products that had ammonia in it and the residue is still left in the air...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. OP
    OP
    H

The first time I dosed like 1/8 a cup rougly 29 milliliters, (The ammonia website had it listed at 1% or something so I dosed half of what a calculator said to dose), This of course turned bad... I did all those wc and still high, so I drained as much as I could and refilled and redosed 1 mL, and its still rising. (I also had a case of using ammonia in the room, it's not ventilated so may be ammonia concentration in the air as a possible factor here too.) So I'm going to figure this out by draining as much as I can tonight, and resetting it up in another room and not dose any ammonia and test an hour after, and again tomorrow and see what it reads.

9. Dom90

29 mL???

10. BDpups

Ok. Good luck then.

11. OP
    OP
    H

Yea 1/8 a cup, comes out to about 29 mL, lol and that was half the dose.... it called for 50 some... I def wasnt adding 50... but it was for 1% ammonia, but I think it was 2-3% ish. Anyhow, drained, resetup, not dosing yet at all.
    Reading 5 resetup.jpg

12. Dom90

You're only supposed to dose up to 4 ppm of ammonia...

13. OP
    OP
    H

Yeah that was for 3-4 ppm at 1% ammonia,

At the bottom, a breeder is around 45 US gallons, 1 % ammonia, for 3 ppm is 51 mL lol

for 3 ppm, at 3% ammonia it is 17 mL

14. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

Cycling can be a nightmare, but at least you don't have fish in the tank!

A lot of us went through this the first time with fish to worry about!

15. OP
    OP
    H

I would be freaking out if I had fish x.x, for my other 3 tanks I'm just going to order dr tims ammonia and follow the directions LOL

16. KarenLM

It does get easier. I would always use a bottled BB product from now on to jump start the filter.

17. OP
    OP
    H

I'm dosing stability now :) so hopefully that will work, going to test the water tomorrow nad see how it goes! Will post results for sure

18. OP
    OP
    H

My results this morning day 6
    Readings day 6.jpg

19. KarenLM

Did you test the nitrites as well? You should start to see an increase in them as the ammonia drops.

20. OP
    OP
    H

Yeah I'll probably wait this evening to test them, they've been increasing by .25 - .5 a day, but the ammonia kept going up, the last time I did a big wc and drained the tank, the nitrites were off 0 but not quite .25, then 12 hours later they were .25, so I'll retest it all again this evening :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice