40g Breeder-flowerhorn

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by ThePuzzleMaker, Apr 20, 2018.

1. ThePuzzleMaker

ThePuzzleMakerValued MemberMember

I know a flowerhorn can't live it's entire life in a 40 breeder. But I have a 40 breeder empty and would love to get a flowerhorn. My lfs sells them at about 3 inches .
    How long can the fh be confortable in a 40 breeder until I have to upgrade?

When the time comes I will have a bigger aquarium available for him/her btw.

2. Cichlidnut

CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

You can probably do 4-6 months depending on how fast the flowerhorn grows.

3. penguin02

penguin02Well Known MemberMember

Just... don’t. Please. Always wait until you have an adequate tank for the ADULT size of the fish. Things always happen and you don’t want to be stuck with a fish that might end up being stunted for life.

It’s just not fair to the flowerhorn.

4. OP
    OP
    ThePuzzleMaker

ThePuzzleMakerValued MemberMember

I'm already planning the big tank. In a couple months it should be done. I dont want to risk the lfs running out of fhs. Don't worry about the fish, if for some reason I can't upgrade for him I have a friend that can gladly take him.
    Just wanted to know if he could be in the 40 until i have the tank.

5. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Sure, go ahead.

6. Cichlidnut

CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

It's a very common practice to start a flowerhorn in a smaller tank and upgrade as they grow. Nothing wrong with it.

7. Freshie_ Enthusiast 02

Freshie_ Enthusiast 02New MemberMember

I'm doing something very similar to you, it's definitely perfectly fine to place a flowerhorn in a tank temporarily until enough growth has occurred to move into a larger one. All that said, waiting until a bigger tank is present might be a wise idea. If your lfs ran out because you waited they could probably order more, talk with them to see if you could work something out. My preferred lfs was unable to order any from their suppliers and the other 2 lfs that are within 15 minutes of my house didn't have any in stock so I ended up driving an hour away to get one. Be warned that they have a pretty quick growth rate but it's all dependent on tank size and feeding