40g Breeder Bowing Out 1/8 In

r_e_g

Valued Member
Messages
93
Reaction score
18
Points
28
Experience
More than 10 years
I just set up my new Aqueon 40 gallon breeder today and I noticed that the glass hood isn't flush with the center front part of the frame. At first I though the hood wasn't cut right. However, I measured and the center of the tank bows out 1/8 in. It really wouldn't be visible if it weren't for the hood. I don't have it completely full; the water level is about 2 in below the top. I can definitely take out some more water if that will resolve this. I found some old forum posts saying that this is common and not cause for alarm but I wanted to check in anyway.

ETA: Out of curiosity, I decided to go measure my 10 gallon. Lo and behold, that one also bows 1/8 in, which is proportionally much more in that tank than the 40 gallon. It's been up and running for 3 or 4 years now so that's reassuring.
 

Bry

Well Known Member
Messages
763
Reaction score
260
Points
108
Experience
More than 10 years
My 20 gallon does too a little bit! I thought I was somehow buying the wrong size hood. Then I measured and realized my tank wasn't completely rectangled! This tank is OLD. My mom gave it to me like ten years ago. She had it for AT LEAST six years before that. So I don't know if it was defect, or just worn from age?
 

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Messages
613
Reaction score
274
Points
98
Experience
More than 10 years
Some bowing is perfectly normal. Especially in 40's and other tanks without a support. If you've noticed, any tank longer/bigger than 40's almost always have a plastic bracket in the middle that supports the glass. You'd be surprised how far glass will flex. Unless it's a really severe bow, it's no reason to worry.
 

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Messages
2,682
Reaction score
1,849
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup, as tanks get longer theyll start bowing for sure. If youre really worried empty it, make a brace across the middle and there you go.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

r_e_g

Valued Member
Messages
93
Reaction score
18
Points
28
Experience
More than 10 years
live4wetsleeves said:
Some bowing is perfectly normal. Especially in 40's and other tanks without a support. If you've noticed, any tank longer/bigger than 40's almost always have a plastic bracket in the middle that supports the glass. You'd be surprised how far glass will flex. Unless it's a really severe bow, it's no reason to worry.
Thank you. I have noticed the braces on larger tanks. I'm guessing that given that manufacturers omit the braces on the smaller tanks, the slight amount of bowing isn't compromising the structural integrity.

DuaneV said:
Yup, as tanks get longer theyll start bowing for sure. If youre really worried empty it, make a brace across the middle and there you go.
Thanks. I'm not super worried at this point (given that people aren't screaming that my tank is going to burst at any moment) so I'm going to keep an eye on it and measure it regularly. I'm assuming that if it were going to burst, I'd see an increase in bowing over time.
 

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Messages
2,682
Reaction score
1,849
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
Good plan....... and not necessarily, lol. Tanks break, most times without warning. Not trying to freak you out, promise. Yes, the bowing is normal. I wouldnt (dont) worry too much about it myself. If you keep tanks long enough youll eventually have one let go. It sucks. I had a 55 let go in an apartment when I was in college. Only good thing was we were on the ground floor so we didnt have people below us complaining. lol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

r_e_g

Valued Member
Messages
93
Reaction score
18
Points
28
Experience
More than 10 years
DuaneV said:
Good plan....... and not necessarily, lol. Tanks break, most times without warning. Not trying to freak you out, promise. Yes, the bowing is normal. I wouldnt (dont) worry too much about it myself. If you keep tanks long enough youll eventually have one let go. It sucks. I had a 55 let go in an apartment when I was in college. Only good thing was we were on the ground floor so we didnt have people below us complaining. lol
Yeah, I'm on the second floor so having this burst would be a real problem. I just checked my renter's insurance policy and it doesn't cover water damage (though then it specifies that it means water damage from nature, water from outside the residence, and water coming up out of the ground. I think I'll contact my agent and see if there's a way to add coverage.
 

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,622
Reaction score
3,043
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
david1978 said:
Hey @Gypsy13. Does your tank bow.
Yes. But it’s closer to a quarter of an inch than an eighth. It still would’ve been ok probably but I just didn’t like the overall size. I’m going with my seriously chipped forty long.
 

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Messages
2,139
Reaction score
626
Points
128
Experience
1 year
r_e_g said:
Yeah, I'm on the second floor so having this burst would be a real problem. I just checked my renter's insurance policy and it doesn't cover water damage (though then it specifies that it means water damage from nature, water from outside the residence, and water coming up out of the ground. I think I'll contact my agent and see if there's a way to add coverage.
We rent as well & after a cat passed away I changed our lease to include my tank rather than the cat. I just wanted to be fully honest in the event of a tank failure. So far I have only had a filter leak, but hopefully didn’t do too much damage.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom