40g breeder appropriate stocking?

connorjs1004

I recently set up a 40 gallon breeder tank with live plants with no co2. It is still cycling right now so they are no fish in it. I have been researching a lot and have found a lot of mixed information about what fish should and should not live in a tank this size as well as if these fish are compatible with each other. So, what I was thinking was:
Would this be appropriate stocking for a 40 gallon breeder tank?
(Note) I am probably going to first put the cherry shrimp in and let them get established and start to breed for a few weeks before I put anything else in.
Thanks in advance

SouthAmericanCichlids

I would go for 15 harlequins and 6 ottos.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

The only real issue i see is an issue most people don't think of. If the ottos decide not to eat anything other than algae, is there going to be enough algae to feed that many ottos in a tank so they can thrive...people kind of forget that.

Upvote 0

connorjs1004

The only real issue i see is an issue most people don't think of. If the ottos decide not to eat anything other than algae, is there going to be enough algae to feed that many ottos in a tank so they can thrive...people kind of forget that.

How many would you suggest then?
I really don't want them to starve to death

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

You can feed them pickles, or grow algae on jars in water by a window.

Upvote 0

Yeoy

I would add them to your tank last, if at all. They don't do well in new tanks and need mature tanks with surface area that will grow algae including a few bits of wood.

A good alternative might be the pygmy corys. They look fairly similar, much easier to feed/keep alive and may even breed for you!

Upvote 0

connorjs1004

I would add them to your tank last, if at all. They don't do well in new tanks and need mature tanks with surface area that will grow algae including a few bits of wood.

A good alternative might be the pygmy corys. They look fairly similar, much easier to feed/keep alive and may even breed for you!

I was planning on adding them a while after everything else lol. I just put them on there to show the overall stocking to see if it was too much and if the fish would go together.

Upvote 0

FishDin

I liked hatchet fish in my 40B. IMO, with a tall tank It's nice to have some activity at the top of the water. I did find that my Endlers swam everywhere in the tank, including the top area.

I agree with others, if you want ottos wait until the tank is mature.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Sorry, I was tired, I meant zucchini not pickles.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
connorjs1004
  • Question
40 Gallon Tank Stock question.
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question