40g Axolotl Build

Quiche

Hello all!
I've loved axolotls for a few years now and I've decided to gift myself a tank for the holidays I want a pair of them- one copper and one leucistic. I'm planning on doing a bare-bottom tank, as I heard that they're really messy. I'll add some slate caves and other rock decorations.
It's nothing really fancy, but I can't wait to set it up! I've gathered these materials so far:

Brooklyn Metal Stand
USA Current Satellite LED
Sunsun Canister 265 gph
40g tank
Dechlorinator, thermometer, etc (useful aquarium stuff)

Today I learned that spray paint does not work in cold weather. I was touching up the bottom and the back, but messed it up. It's not going to be warm enough to spray paint again for months, so I'll just put a cave in front of it or something.

Sorry for the dog hair/water stains/glare in photo above!

I'll be setting up over winter break, which starts next week. In the meantime, I'd love to see pictures of any axolotls that you have/had and their setup! If you don't have any, still feel free to comment on anything axolotl related or tips for owning them!

FlipFlopFishFlake

Axolotls are so cute! I absolutely adore them! I was planning on getting one but I had a change of circumstances which made me unable to do so. I will pay attention to this thread for sure so I can see your success with them.

Quiche

Thunder_o_b I think it was you who asked to be linked to this thread? If not, apologies!

Well, I cut out the egg-crate lid, but haven't filled it with water/started cycling yet. I forgot to get the filter media and it's arriving on Jan 3rd

I was thinking of making a cave out of a piece of slate with a right angle and four "legs". It'll look sort of like a very squat table, and I could back it up into the corner of the tank to make a shelter.

There is also a rather unfortunately placed neon orange sticker on the underside of the tank, splat in the middle. Couldn't get it off. Anyone have ideas on how to cover it up without looking too tacky?

Thunder_o_b

Thank you. My brother is going to get two of these. He will be interested in learning from you

Betta Gremlin

You could probably get a plant decoration to cover it up, or have a little rock pile- or both.

Quiche

The ceramic rings arrived early! Also, apparently the sticker doesn't show when the tank is filled with water. Something about light going through at a 90 degree angle? I dunno.

I put a three layers of filter floss at the bottom and just stuffed the other two trays with ceramic rings- everyone says that axolotls create a ton of waste. I also placed a bag of ceramic rings into the filter of another cycled tank. I can add them to this one in a week or so to jumpstart the cycle.

I like the idea of a rock pile! I'll probably also add some large marimo moss balls, maybe texas holey rock? I'm open to any decor suggestions!

Quiche

Update! I kind of neglected this tank for 4 months, and by the time it was cycled, it was summer and I couldn't ship axolotls. I'm pretty proud of the caves I built, though- they look a little tacky but they'll serve their purpose. I'm planning on making a few more.

The slate is stacked on top of the caves because I was doing a vacuum. I'll hopefully be getting them next weekend! I'm probably going to buy 3, two leuc and one wild.

Quiche

Change of plans- we're raising eggs instead! I got 125 eggs off a breeder and they're now sitting in the tank. Rest assured, I won't be keeping all of them and as it's my first time keeping axolotls I'm expecting a high mortality rate. It'll be nice, cool temperatures from now until next April (I live up north) so we're in good shape. Plenty of 10 gal tubs & sponge filters for when they get bigger and need to be separated by size. We're in for a ride!

I'll be documenting the whole process. A couple slipped out of their eggs while shipping, but I suppose that's expected My guess is that they're 6-7 days old, because gills aren't visible on most of them yet. That means I have 6 days to get a tub of daphnia going! Their parents are a Wild (het for Mel) x Melanoid GFP, if you want to know about axie genetics
If anyone else has raised axolotls before, I'd love to hear any advice/tips!

Quiche

Photo dump!
20 or so of the eggs have hatched! I assume the rest will hatch tomorrow or on Friday.

clovervalley

Woah, that’s a lot of eggs! I’ve just started to learn more about Axolotls and they’re such cool critters. What are you planning to do with the extra babies if they do survive?

Quiche

The person who used to supply axolotls to my local pet stores left, so I'll be able to unload some there. I know one person already who wants an axolotl and has the setup, but I'm planning to sell off most on caudata. There's a decent demand, at least!

TheMadScientist

I have mine in a 55 gal 3 of them. I wish they would breed as well but it's early only had em a few weeks lol bit by my calculations mine are 2 to 3 years old. I run the black sand in mine they didn't like the bare bottom. No grip

Keep in mind guys. These little guys do not like bright light....

You ain't around the Vermont area are you? I'll take a few fit my other tank

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom