40b Stocking Suggestions. Question

1. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I have a 40 gallon breeder moderately planted with driftwood. Current stock is

11 blue tetra
    1 bn pleco

The plan was a large school (18) of tetra and a pleco pair, but lost 9 tetra within 24 hours, so I'm looking for suggestions on what I could eventually put with these guys. All suggestions appreciated!

2. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Oh no!! What a bummer. Any idea why they're not making it? Are you looking for an alternate school for the tetras, or just some other fish to go along with a smaller blue tetra school?

3. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Nope, don't know why they're dropping, have another thread on it. I'm pretty sure 2 more won't last the day.
    Other fish to go with them, however many I have left at the end.

4. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

An apistogramma cacatuoides would be very cool, I'd give one a shot. People here seem to feel high pH is fine for fish from low pH areas, but I don't have personal experience with that... worth the gamble though I'd say!

Endlers would also look amazing with those blue tetras. Like a group of true black bar ones.

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What about adding a school of lemon tetras? The yellow and blue would look great together.

6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Personally I'd wait a few weeks to see what happens with the tetras. If they all pass or just a few more that could change the direction of the tank

Are you wanting another school or perhaps some centerpiece fish?

7. KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

What do you think about Red Phantom Tetras or Crystal Red Tetras for a red contrast? :)

8. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I won't be adding anything to this tank for at least a month, unless the seller decides to send more tetra. I just emailed them. But technically they are in quarantine.
    Another school and possibly a centerpiece or two would be nice. I would consider a school of cories, but don't know if I should if I want to breed plecos.
    From what little I can gather on these guys, they are quite nippy. And if the school keeps dwindling, that could get worse. They seem very picky with each other, usually breaking into groups of 2-3 and chasing each other.
    I'm actually interested in EBA, but don't know how that would work out. I can't keep this tank much below 78F, so cooler species are out. I don't run my AC all day.

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you get it lower in the spring/fall/winter? Because 78 F is a little high for the blue tetra and BN pleco as well.

If you're trying to breed the plecos, I would be wary of adding anything that would/could eat the fry.

10. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Yes it's cooler outside of June-august, so it is just seasonal. I run my AC at 74 during the day, but it gets turned to 67 at night. I have the heater set to 76, but it creeps up to 78 midday.
    Originally I thought about making this a cool water tank, until I realized it is impossible .

11. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

EBA would be fine in those temps as most cichlids are as well as gouramis if you wanted to go that route for a centerpiece. If you are breeding plecos, I'd probably avoid the corydoras in that case or any other bottom dweller. If it were me, I'd keep from getting anything that may squeeze in with the plecos and eat the eggs, as once they are free swimming I'd suggest moving them unless you want to devote that entire tank to pleco breeding.

As for the seasonal temps, the tetra and plecos should be fine since it's only that hot for a couple of months a year.

I like the lemon suggestion for another school. Diamonds or cherry barbs would also do well I think

An eba or 2 would make a nice centerpiece. I'd also consider a pair of rainbow cichlids, a single male sajica, a single thorichthys species, or maybe an angel. Lots of other options too like a few pearl gouramis or sunset gouramis if you wanted to go that direction.

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could always take out the heater, or set it much lower, too. I don't use heaters in the summer at all. If your AC is set to 74 and 67, you can get your tank much lower than 78 F.

13. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I have the heater in there set to 76 to keep it from dropping to 70 at night, which it did while cycling when I left the heater off for a few days. But the temp still climbed to 78 during the day. There are just too many windows in there. I'm not allowed to move the tank either. I've just got to work with what I've got. Currently the temp is 76.
    Lost another tetra and probably will lose more. What's left may just turn into a donation to the LFS. Don't know if I want to try again.
    Sorry guys, this is just frustrating.

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry you're having so many issues :(

15. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Well, I just assumed I would get a good shipment, and I don't know. I've been impressed with them in the past, but this was my first fish order from them. I honestly didn't know what to expect either. All fish I've had shipped before were from members, so maybe they were just healthier. I had really wanted to be able to give them a great review.

16. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can still give them a good review if you email them and they handle the situation well.

17. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Could they have gone through a shipping shock of some type that would result in this? Short-term exposure to extreme temp, maybe sitting in a hot mail truck all day or something?

18. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Very true, and hopefully I can. I know mess happens, and I'll be pretty easy to please tbh.

Very possible. They honestly could have perfectly healthy before they were bagged, and possibly could have been dropped or thrown in transit. The box was labeled live fish, and ups guy didn't even ring the bell. Luckily I just happened to see the truck turn around in my driveway or they could have sat on my porch for a while.
    I don't trust ups, I'd rather use usps myself.

19. Manjit Member Member

What are your parameters... Have you checked them... Any product you used recently...
    Might be fishes your LFS has got are not in good condition... Try some other place

20. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

How did you acclimate them? Where did you order them from?