40b Saltwater Tank?

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am thinking about getting a 40g breeder saltwater reef tank. I would really like to have an Angelfish or two in this tank. Is that possible? Are there any Angels that would work?

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am thinking about getting a 40g breeder saltwater reef tank. I would really like to have an Angelfish or two in this tank. Is that possible? Are there any Angels that would work?
Flame Angelfish need at least 75 gallons. Good Angelfish for that tank are Cherub, Multicolored, Blue Dwarf, and African Flamebacks. There are much more but there is just some of them.

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Flameback angelfish. You could get 1-2 along with other peaceful reef fish. Or cherubfish, which are very, very similar, but perhaps a bit smaller and with an orange face and not back

PeteStevers

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am in the middle of building out a 40b. Just FYI. Stands are not easy to come by. Most people that buy this tank end up building a stand themselves. Are you drilling it or using HOB equipment? I drilled mine. It's now plumbed and I just need to leak test everything and dial in the flow down to the sump.

PeteStevers

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Interesting. I found this on fishlore which states that the dwarf flame angel only gets to about 4 inches and requires a 30 gallon tank. Maybe they should remove this since it is incorrect.
Dwarf Flame Angelfish Care, Size, Life Span, Tank Mates, Breeding
The only site that makes a real attempt a minimum tank sizes is Live Aquaria. The rest I swear throw darts at a board to see what number they go with. The problem is that precious few make an effort to really take a good look at the fish to give a decent idea of what it needs. Flame Angels although smaller are very active and need horitzontal swimming room (ie 4 foot tank) in addition they are one of the more aggressive dwarf angels and I have seen first hand their behavior in a 36 gallon bowfront and it wasn't pleasant. If you really want to try an angel of some form the only one I would recommend for a 40 breeder would be a Cherubfish aka Pygmy Angel. They max out around 3 inches and would do okay in a tank of that size. Flameback Angels could work but tend to be more aggressive.

Incidentally here is the Cherubfish in question:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+455&pcatid=455

PeteStevers

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good to know. Thank you! I'm still trying to figure out my stocking on my 40 that I just filled. So many options. :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom