40b Saltwater Tank?

Katie13

Member
I am thinking about getting a 40 gallon breeder saltwater reef tank. I would really like to have an Angelfish or two in this tank. Is that possible? Are there any Angels that would work?
 

PeteStevers

Member

NC122606

Member
Katie13 said:
I am thinking about getting a 40 gallon breeder saltwater reef tank. I would really like to have an Angelfish or two in this tank. Is that possible? Are there any Angels that would work?
Flame Angelfish need at least 75 gallons. Good Angelfish for that tank are Cherub, Multicolored, Blue Dwarf, and African Flamebacks. There are much more but there is just some of them.
 

kanzekatores

Member
Flameback angelfish. You could get 1-2 along with other peaceful reef fish. Or cherubfish, which are very, very similar, but perhaps a bit smaller and with an orange face and not back
 

PeteStevers

Member
I am in the middle of building out a 40b. Just FYI. Stands are not easy to come by. Most people that buy this tank end up building a stand themselves. Are you drilling it or using HOB equipment? I drilled mine. It's now plumbed and I just need to leak test everything and dial in the flow down to the sump.
 

NC122606

Member
PeteStevers said:
I said DWARF flame angel
I know what I said, Dwarf Flame Angelfish and Flame Angelfish are the same fish. Even though they get to 4 inches they still require 75 gallons to live out their lives.
 

PeteStevers

Member
NC122606 said:
I know what I said, Dwarf Flame Angelfish and Flame Angelfish are the same fish. Even though they get to 4 inches they still require 75 gallons to live out their lives.
Interesting. I found this on fishlore which states that the dwarf flame angel only gets to about 4 inches and requires a 30 gallon tank. Maybe they should remove this since it is incorrect.
Dwarf Flame Angelfish Care, Size, Life Span, Tank Mates, Breeding
 

Jesterrace

Member
PeteStevers said:
Interesting. I found this on fishlore which states that the dwarf flame angel only gets to about 4 inches and requires a 30 gallon tank. Maybe they should remove this since it is incorrect.
Dwarf Flame Angelfish Care, Size, Life Span, Tank Mates, Breeding
The only site that makes a real attempt a minimum tank sizes is Live Aquaria. The rest I swear throw darts at a board to see what number they go with. The problem is that precious few make an effort to really take a good look at the fish to give a decent idea of what it needs. Flame Angels although smaller are very active and need horitzontal swimming room (ie 4 foot tank) in addition they are one of the more aggressive dwarf angels and I have seen first hand their behavior in a 36 gallon bowfront and it wasn't pleasant. If you really want to try an angel of some form the only one I would recommend for a 40 breeder would be a Cherubfish aka Pygmy Angel. They max out around 3 inches and would do okay in a tank of that size. Flameback Angels could work but tend to be more aggressive.

Incidentally here is the Cherubfish in question:

live aquaria
 

PeteStevers

Member
Good to know. Thank you! I'm still trying to figure out my stocking on my 40 that I just filled. So many options. :)
 
Top Bottom