40 Gallon Tank 40b planted stocking idea

CivicsTeach

I have a recently rescaped/reimagined 40b that I am trying to figure out some direction with. The tank is low tech heavily planted, and decently divided up in terms of hiding spots and line of sight. Current stocking is 6 peacock gudgeons, 6 longfin danios, 3 amano shrimp, and 3 nerites. The danios are a riot to watch, and I may boost their number to 10. The gudgeons seem to have fit in nicely at the bottom in their little domains. Possibilities I have considered include a pair of apistos or a pearl gourami as centerpiece fish, but I am open to other suggestions. I am just sort of at the conceptualizing stage while I wait for the tank to equalize a bit more with the current bioload.

Attachments

• PXL_20211022_011543152.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211022_011543152.MP.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 15

otterblue

I don't have a recommendation, I just like the look of your tank. Very cool and natural!

Linda1234

You could try borelli apistogramma though there might be some conflict with the peacock. The borelli is a better option than cockatoo if you want to go with apistogramma.

CivicsTeach

You could try borelli apistogramma though there might be some conflict with the peacock. The borelli is a better option than cockatoo if you want to go with apistogramma.
Interesting. Hadn't considered them, and I like the look. Why the borelli over cockatoo? Less aggressive?

Linda1234

smaller. Btw SA cichlid usually signal intent of aggression before aggression but non-sa fish (i.e, peacock) won't understand....

ProudPapa

I'm a big fan of pearl gouramis, but why just one? I'd suggest at least three.

CivicsTeach

smaller. Btw SA cichlid usually signal intent of aggression before aggression but non-sa fish (i.e, peacock) won't understand....
Ah, so maybe stick with something else from the Island Pacific region and/or less aggressive. The gudgeons are quickly becoming one of my favorites with their weird little behaviors and swimming patterns. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm a big fan of pearl gouramis, but why just one? I'd suggest at least three.
My worry with the gourami really comes down to bad experiences with smaller cousins (Bettas and dwarf gouramis) and reading that they "can" be aggressive. I don't have anything else big enough to keep one in long term if aggression became an issue. I've had terrible luck with labyrinth fish in the past between weird health problems and aggression issues. I get pearls are hardier, and they're still on the possible list. Thanks.

ProudPapa

My worry with the gourami really comes down to bad experiences with smaller cousins (Bettas and dwarf gouramis) and reading that they "can" be aggressive. I don't have anything else big enough to keep one in long term if aggression became an issue. I've had terrible luck with labyrinth fish in the past between weird health problems and aggression issues. I get pearls are hardier, and they're still on the possible list. Thanks.

Pearl gouramis are usually much less aggressive than dwarf gouramis or bettas. I have eight of them in a moderately planted 40 gallon breeder, along with tetras and corys, and haven't seen any aggression issues.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PenguinTetra38
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
StFarnabus