40b Gourami centerpiece stocking

Cadillac15

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm setting up a 40b right now and am thinking that I want to use a Dwarf Gourami as the centerpiece fish. Now that I have that decided, I'm curious about what else I should add that would do well with a dwarf gourami. My current tanks are Amazon themed, so I'm not terribly familiar with the type of fish that come from the same area as gourami. Any help would be appreciated!

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i wouldn’t do a dwarf gourami, they do not make the best tank mates.
go with a trio of pearl gourami! They are awesome and perfect for a 40 breeder!

OP
Cadillac15

Cadillac15

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FinalFins said:
Hi there, DG are often a hit and miss and have health problems so maybe consider pearls (like said above :)) or honeys?

Also if you have gouramis fish that are native to its region will be loaches, rasboras and cyprinids. All native to asia.
I love kuhli loaches! Oh that makes me happy to hear they are from the same area. A pearl gourami would be pretty i think. So maybe a pearl, kuhli loaches, and some raspboras?

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cadillac15 said:
I love kuhli loaches! Oh that makes me happy to hear they are from the same area. A pearl gourami would be pretty i think. So maybe a pearl, kuhli loaches, and some raspboras?
They do better in groups so get a trio (1 male and 2 females) and at least 10 Kuhli loaches.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cadillac15 said:
OK, so if I do 3 Pearl Gourami, 10 Kuhli Loaches, how many tiger barbs and leopard Danios could I do on the 40b? It will have either a sun sun canister filter or an aquaclear 110.
Tiger barbs are best kept alone or With other barbs. They would not make a good fit in your tank.

OP
Cadillac15

Cadillac15

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
CoryFan said:
Tiger barbs are best kept alone or With other barbs. They would not make a good fit in your tank.
Good to know. I don't know much about them other than they were listed as the same area and are pretty haha. What about if I did some rasboras and danios. Would that work? And how many?

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cadillac15 said:
Good to know. I don't know much about them other than they were listed as the same area and are pretty haha. What about if I did some rasboras and danios. Would that work? And how many?
Yup that would work, I would do 8-12 of each.

OP
Cadillac15

Cadillac15

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
CoryFan said:
Yup that would work, I would do 8-12 of each.
Could I combine gourami? Like have 2 pearl and a honey or does that not work?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cadillac15 said:
Could I combine gourami? Like have 2 pearl and a honey or does that not work?
Not in that way but you could mix Pearls and Honeys, just keep a group of each. I’d recommend keeping a larger group of Honeys, 5 or so.

OP
Cadillac15

Cadillac15

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Would a 40b be big enough for 1 pearl and 5 honey? What would a stocking look like if so with danios, rasboras and kuhli loaches? (I'd be willing to drop anything that wouldn't fit in with that). Unfortunately aqadvisor isn't up anymore that I can find so I can't check stocking that way (not that it was perfect).

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cadillac15 said:
Would a 40b be big enough for 1 pearl and 5 honey? What would a stocking look like if so with danios, rasboras and kuhli loaches? (I'd be willing to drop anything that wouldn't fit in with that). Unfortunately aqadvisor isn't up anymore that I can find so I can't check stocking that way (not that it was perfect).
Personally I’d keep...
3 Pearls
5 Honeys
12 Harlequin Rasbora
9 Kuhli Loaches
This is pretty much what my 33 was :D

New Threads