40 Rainbow Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Khylea, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Khylea

Khylea New Member Member

I'm wanting to make a Rainbow tank, I want to have 1 Rainbow shark, and some (5) Boesemani Rainbow Fish. Heavily planted.

I only have a 40 breeder available... (Which they really hold like 47ish gallons).

Will this be a big enough tank to do this?

If so.. 5 boesemani Rainbow fish or a different species?

Plants.... are any ok with these guys? Or stick with the tough ones like java and anubius only?

Thanks for any input :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

Typically..as the Rainbow grows larger..UP to 5 inches. They need some room to roam. TYPICALLY,,you should keep a school of the same species. (ex: Boesemani)
    The 40g breeder is a little short for a Rainbow...but they would be fine for a while. As they grow..you will need to look for a longer tank. Plants are great with Rainbows. I have a few Rainbows..and I have quite a few plants. The 90g planted tank with Rainbows are in my signature

3. OP
    OP
    Khylea

Khylea New Member Member

I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused.
    By your wording it sounds like the concern isn't the bioload, but actual space to swim correct?

If that's the case wouldn't the breeder tank work since it's footprint is 648 square inches while a 4ft 55 tank is only 624 square inches?

Does length verses depth matter that much?

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Some fish like a lot of lateral space to swim back and forth is probably what he means.
    But if all you have is a 40B, by all means go ahead and use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I'd take a 40 breeder over a 55 any day. It should work fine for what you are wanting to stock.

6. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

The 40g breeder is a great tank..but as already clarified by Dom90, the Rainbows need a little more horizontal space as they grow larger. However...until that day comes...a 40g breeder is fine. I just bought a 40g breeder tank from Petco on their dollar per gallon sale. I'm currently right In the middle of hardscaping it I'm still waiting on a stand for it to come in since apparently there isn't as much of a demand for them Petco has one that is available..but I am redoing my office and I want all the stands to match. Cool tank though. Good depth vs length.

7. OP
    OP
    Khylea

Khylea New Member Member

Thanks for all the advice :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice