40 lbs@1.88/lb?

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
is this a really good price for live rock with polyps and mushrooms on it? plus he is giving me enough water to completly fill my tank so i dont have to cycle. isnt this a good price or am i missing something???

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
is this a really good price for live rock with polyps and mushrooms on it? plus he is giving me enough water to completly fill my tank so i dont have to cycle. isnt this a good price or am i missing something???
$1.88 per pound is a great price. You may or may not have to cycle the tank. You'll need to get the rock in the tank and watch for spikes to find out. Saving some of the water from the other tank is probably good in the sense that there will be less of a shift in water parameters for the organisms on your live rock that survive the trip. However, the water isn't going to cycle the tank for you. I would urge you do to more research on your own before purchasing anything.

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
iam new,
and my experience with live rock buying, is to test the water to the fullest before adding to your tank.
IS the live rock in its own big tub with no fish? just submerged rock in a tub?
my LFS live rock was in a tub all its own not in a aqurium and the SG was off the scale VERY very high... (i think they do this for removing bristle worms and unwanted creatures and easy maintenance) I did not add to the tank to say the least... i almost never add a little if any of anyones water to the tank... so i know what is in the tank at all times, as to blame myself if something gets screwed up... (which is somewhat hard to do)

i agree with harpua do more reading and research everything to familarize yourself with what you gettting into, i did and i felt like it was all easy, and like ive already done it before...

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a killer price!!!! Did the LFS just recieve this rock? Or the rock that your talking about is from another persons tank?

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
everything is from a 1 year old cycled SW tank and from a personal seller from CL.

harpua: i have never stoped researching since last year when a( look at my other threads way back like a year ago, 5 gallon (i didnt research) failed( Go Figure!). since i have been looking at live coral and stuff has been 3-4 weeks. i wouldnt start a tank i din't research it is good to know it may not cycle can i ask why? i know the nitrifying bacteria is on the rock so i dont understand why it wouldnt automatically cycle. im intrested in what you have to say!

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The rock is fully cured so go get it and a small chance of rock dieing off just get the rock out and in to your tank as fast as possilble that is key!!!!

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All I meant was that the water from someone else's tank isn't going to cycle your tank. The organisms that make up the tank's biological filter live on and in the rock. If you experience die off while the rock is in transit, then you may see a cycle as a result.

No offense, but 3-4 weeks really isn't that much time to be researching corals. I researched my first SW setup for several months and got experience working at a lfs before I felt comfortable trying it myself... that was about 3 years ago.

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i didnt actually get any of the pieces with coral on it.... but instead i got ~70lbs still for $75

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Make sure you have an ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate test kits I asume you have these test kits already so just check water perimeters every 2-3 days to see what happens. The rock I bought a few weeks back that I bought at LFS I tested all and never seen a ammonia or nitrite rise at all this has been about 5 weeks I believe but nitrates spiked to top of chart. Just depends for all rock where what type etc. good luck Josh welcome to the salt water world!!!!

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd say probably not. 65W PC is pretty low lighting over a 30 gallon reef. You can definitely do some easy softies like zoas/palys, mushrooms, some leathers, etc. You can even try some non photosynthetic corals like sun corals or chili corals (if you are willing to target feed). Feather dusters are also non photosynthetic and look REALLY cool IMO.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah thats good! anyway i dont suppose i could grow some frogspawn could I? you now my lighting (65 W 50/50 bulbs)
You would need one more light like the one you bought. I have 2 55 watt one actinic and one 10,000 k and can grow some hard corals just depends where you place theem so one more 50/50 would put you in that spot and you will be able to have frogspawn and others at that level. you never told me where you got the 50/50?

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
at a LFS new for 59.99! and harpua what type of leathers?and what is in the "etc." category?could you PLEASE elaborate???

P.S. i found some Green star polyps and spent the night researching and they are in decent lighting and moderate flow, and since they are photosynthetic i think they will be ok!! they are nesr the top.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hehehe...
Josh, my husband disagrees with me. He thinks you can try some easy LPS (long polyp stony) corals like euphyllia species (frogspawn, torch, hammer) or caulastrea (candy cane) under your current lighting as long as they are kept close to the top of the tank (top 1/3 probably). Keep any euphyllias or caulastreas out of direct flow, and beware of their sweeper tentacles- they can sting others within range. This is mostly a concern with euphyllias.

Oh, and green star polyps are a great choice for your setup. They are low light, super easy to keep and propagate quickly.

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Awesome, thanks harpua (and mr. harpua) ok now back to the leathers what types of leathers and other types so far im thinking Frogspawn, my current GSP's,mushrooms and .... need more ideas!

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awesome, thanks harpua (and mr. harpua) ok now back to the leathers what types of leathers and other types so far im thinking Frogspawn, my current GSP's,mushrooms and .... need more ideas!
Finger leather, toadstool leather, cabbage leather, devil's hand leather.

For other ideas, try www.wetwebmedia.com . Tons of great info there.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom