40 gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by bryce1217, Nov 29, 2012.

1. b

bryce1217 Valued Member Member

i recently found a ton of dead fish in most of my pet stores fish tanks. well, i wont be shopping from there anymore. i started going to a different store and their tanks are very clean. they dont have as big of a selection unfortunatly. i talked to guy there that i think knows what he is talking about.
    he told me i could keep the following fish in a 50 gallon without problems:
    6 bloodfin tetras
    6 giant danios
    2 angelfish
    1 blue three spot gourami ( girl )
    and some type of an algae eater.

is this true?

2. S

Shock Valued Member Member

What kind of 40g tank is it?

That's quite a few fish for a 40g, but I've always been on the conservative side of stocking. If you filter the tank heavily and do 25% water changed weekly I imagine it'd work.

AFAIK, 3 spot gouramis are somewhat agressive, and that's quite a few medium (4-5") fish you have in a 40g tank. If I were you, i'd consider dropping an angelfish or the gourami in addition to the algae eater. Make sure your tank has a lot of plants or decorations breaking up field of vision to keep territorial disputes down.

Most algae eaters aren't very good at eating algae I tend to notice. Algae is best battled by fixing what is wrong in your tank in the first place. If you said you wanted to get a bristlenose pleco because you like them regardless, then I'd be inclined to agree with you. They're a bottom dwelling fish unlike the others you've posted. Just make sure to give a bristlenose driftwood.

3. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

50g right?

4. OP
    OP
    b

40 gallon tank. i have had gouramis before and thats why i want another. lol. could i drop a school of fish like the danios then? and i probably would go with a bristle nose pleco.

5. S

Shock Valued Member Member

Drop the danios and I think you'll be fine. Don't forget driftwood for the bristlenose :D

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would not keep a 3 spot with angelfish - especially not that small of a tank.

7. OP
    OP
    b

ok ive seen a bunch of people say yes and a bunch of people say no. ill try it andif i dont work ill take on of them back. thanks!

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You know, as fish grow and mature the dynamics of the tank can change. So, it'll work until it doesn't. Hopefully that day doesn't come, but you might wake up one day to a problem.

9. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I second dumping the giant danios, they get pretty big and with the rest of the stock load you are already kinda full in the mid/upper areas anyway. Maybe nix the algae eater completely as well and instead get a small school of 4-6 cories. I like pandas,sterbai and adolofoi personally. I have no experience mixing gouramis and angels so I can't comment on that, but I can say that if you get lucky/unlucky enough for the angels to pair up they may get super aggro towards similar sized tankmates and anything else that doesn't steer clear.

10. OP
    OP
    b

ok ill look at some cories thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice