40 gallon

1. b

bryce1217 Valued Member Member

what kind of good cheap filter would you reccomend for a 40 gallon tank? should i do 2 filters( 1 on each side )? how big of a filter would you reccomend? thanks!

2. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

Hi! :)

Well, the type of filter depends you get depends on you. It's generally better to get a filter rated for a slightly larger aquarium, as you can never really have too much filtration. You will have to decide if you want a HOB model (Hang-On-back) like the Aquaclear series, or a canister type filter that sits on the floor outside of the tank.

The HOB models are generally cheaper and very easy to install. For canister types, you will likely have to use the instructions that come with it.

It also depends on how you will stock the aquarium. How many fish & how large they will be can help you determine what size/type of filter you might get, as well as how much money you want to spend. The larger/more fish you have, obviously more filtration is a good thing.

You also want to research the species of fish you want for the aquarium. If you have some that don't like strong currents, it might not be a good idea to have a filter on each side of the tank shooting out water. Others like strong currents. This being considered, you CAN have two filters running at the same time- but you might have to adjust the flow depending on the type of fish.

I always had two filters on my tanks, for the main reason if I had to set up a hospital or quarantine tank I would always have one to spare with bacterial culture already present.

But to answer your question as if I was you, I would get an aquaclear 70 or 110 (depending on your budget). They're the most filtration "bang for your buck."

You probably know most of this already... lol! Hope this helps! :)

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

You'll want to shoot for 8-10x turnover with a hob and 5X or more with a canister. I keep a sponge filter going in one of my tanks all the time as a backup/qt/hospital filter.

If you like hobs, it might not be a bad idea to split the load between two. A pair of ac50's would do nicely. If you go the canister route Aquatop/SunSun makes pretty affordable ones, I use a cf400 on my 55g.

If you end up having to much current there are very easy ways to diffuse it if its an issue for the fish.

4. OP
    OP
    b

bryce1217 Valued Member Member

ok i like hobs so i will do pair of ac50's thanks!