40 Gallon Tank 40 Gallon Tank Upgrade Stocking Ideas!

mxnewss

Currently in the process of updating to a 40 Gallon tank as my 20 Gallon tank started leaking.

Tank Dimensions: 36 x 14 x 18 (inches)

This is how the 20G was stocked:
- 11 Neon Tetras
- 5 Peppered Corys
- 4 Kuhli Loaches
- 1 Dwarf Gourami
- 1 Electric Blue Ram

I want to upgrade the stocking once the 40G is established. I don’t mind if this means removing some of the fish I currently have. However, I do want to keep the Neons and the Blue Ram.
I was thinking of trying for a pair of Blue Rams.
Should I increase the school size of the Neons?

As for the Peppered Corys, I will most likely remove them from the stocking as the 40G tank is fitted with black gravel. I would prefer a bottom dwelling species which will stand out more against the black gravel. I was thinking a group of Albino Corys, any other suggestions on bottom dwellers?

The Kuhli Loaches I will also most likely remove, as I know they prefer to be in larger groups and I am not the biggest fan of them.

I would like a centrepiece fish for the tank also. I believe that the Dwarf Gourami is too small for a centrepiece for a 40G, so I may remove him. Any suggestions on a centrepiece fish for this tank?

Current 40G Stocking Idea:
- 11 Neon Tetras (+ increase school if applicable)
- 1 Blue Ram (+ hopefully a pair)
? Group of bottom dwellers - possibly Albino Corys
? Centrepiece fish

Any suggestions would be amazing and very much appreciated.

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

I would suggest an angelfish as a centerpiece but may eat neons once its full grown. Some of the larger gouramis could work maybe.

Upvote 0

ferg42995

A Golden Mystery snail would pop some great color against the black. I'm not sure what fish to recommend as I think Blue Rams have a preferred temperature difference than most community fish.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

I would suggest an angelfish as a centerpiece but may eat neons once its full grown. Some of the larger gouramis could work maybe.
Imo I disagree. I don't think a 40g is tall enough.

Upvote 0

mxnewss

The tank will be set at 27 degrees (80.6F), which accommodates for the rams and on the higher end for preferred temperature of the other fish.

I was thinking something like this may work:
- 15 Neons
- 2 Electric Blue Rams
- 10 Albino Corys
? Centrepiece Fish

I’m still not too sure what would make a good centrepiece for this tank, I don’t want to get an angel as I agree the tank isn’t tall enough.
I was considering a small group of Pearl Gourami’s, however I am not too sure.
If I didn’t have a centrepiece fish and instead increased the number of EBR’s would that work?

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

With the rams, I think you already have your centerpiece.

Upvote 0

mxnewss

With the rams, I think you already have your centerpiece.

If I was to increase the number to over two? That was just a suggestion, however I am not too keen on it and would prefer just a pair. I also think that EBR’s are a bit small to be the centrepiece in a tank this size.
How would a trio of Pearl Gourami’s do?

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Yeah, they should be good at that temp, and would'nt be too heavy stocking.

Upvote 0

mxnewss

Okay perfect, so current stocking plan is:
- 15 Neon Tetras
- 10 Albino Corys
- 2 Electric Blue Rams
- 3 Pearl Gouramis

If I was to potentially swap out the neons for a different schooling fish what would be the suggestion?

Upvote 0

mxnewss

I recently moved everything over from my 20G to my 40G as my 20G had a water leaking issues.

Currently the 40G is stocked with:
- 15 Neon Tetras
- 1 Electric Blue Ram

I would like some ideas and suggestions on what else to stock my tank with.

Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

You can always bump up your neon tetra school, a larger school looks better.

Or if you wanted another schooling fish, I love rummynose tetras, they're active tight schoolers and their bright face will turn pale if something is wrong with your tank.

Alternatively you can also get a bottom dwelling fish. Kuhli loaches are beautiful but like to hide. Corydoras are a popular choice, a group of any species would look nice.

Upvote 0

mxnewss

Ghelfaire

I do love my electric blue ram, is there any compatibility that allows more rams in the tank?

I do definitely want to get some bottom dwellers but I am not too sure what type.

I was also considering a trio of gourami’s - not too sure what type yet.

Upvote 0

FishPlanet

A female betta group would be fun. But you would need to do A LOT of research before you do that. Also, you would need a backup tank for each one. It sounds hard for me so I'm not doing it.

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

You could try more rams but they may get aggressive if they start to pair up.

As for bottom dwellers, I suppose it's just what you like. I love the look of the eel shape that loaches have. Corydoras may breed in your tank so that could be fun.
Or you could do another type of catfish like smaller plecos (I'm a personal fan of bristlenose plecos)

Upvote 0

mxnewss

Ghelfaire

How so different species of rams go compatibility wise? I was hoping to get a pair of rams, which may mean adding a few to the tank and removing some once a pair forms. However, if I was to do this with blue rams for example, would my electric blue ram be okay?

I was originally considering corys as I have kept them in the past. I do also like Kulhis, however I don’t want them in this tank, due to the black gravel. I was thinking maybe white corys so that they stand out.

I have also kept bristlenose plecos in the past and I loved them, however they do require driftwood in the tank, correct?

If I was also to add a trio of gourmais which would you recommend.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Ghelfaire

Panda corydoras would be cute.
Yes plecos need driftwood.
Honey and pearl gouramis are the most peaceful, I would try those.

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

I would not do anything tricky such as a betta sorority especially if you do not have extensive experience with bettas. Some corys would be fun. Shrimp as well.

Upvote 0

mxnewss

Nice tank. I have a 40 gal that contains about a dozen neons, a few endlers, a trio of honey gouramis and yellow cherry shrimp. It’s a bit overgrown but they all seem to like it.

B39441ED-B0D9-4DA3-AD1C-AFDDD840CFDE.jpeg

So pretty!! I recently updated to a 40G again, as my 20G had a leak- just when I was finally happy with the aquascape!

CEC8518F-152F-44AF-8070-295FFBF606B9.jpeg
4D9967EA-C4D9-4B84-B096-A9602D4E182B.jpeg
I would not do anything tricky such as a betta sorority especially if you do not have extensive experience with bettas. Some corys would be fun. Shrimp as well.

I had no intention of doing this at all.
And I do have experience with bettas.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding the corys and shrimp.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

40 Gallon Tank Bottom Feeder Suggestions
Replies
Views
mxnewss
Replies
Views
mxnewss
Replies
Views
noobscaper
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
JettsPapa

Random Great Thread

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom