40 gallon tank start up advice

1. Dp8006 Initiate Member

I'm not sure if this is posted in the right place so excuse me if it is. Ok so I currently have a 30 gallon long aqaurium on a 40 gallon aquarium stand I purchased at Petco. My question is I want to go ahead and get a 40 to fill my stand better than the 30 but if I transfer my filter over to the new aquarium and If possible the water from the 30 do I still need to wait to cycle the tank? I figured I'm speeding up the process already by transferring my filter in running in my 30. It has two breeding angelfish in it so I don't want to take a chance of loosing them over a mistake on my part. Any help is greatly appreciated

2. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Dp...

By moving the filter media from an established tank to a new tank, the new tank is instantly cycled. Moving the water makes no difference, because the good bacteria only lives on surfaces inside the tank. Since you're moving the filter from a 30 G to a 40, you should stock the new tank slowly, so you don't overload the bacteria. It's good to test the water in the 40 frequently to make sure the bacteria colony is working.

Old

3. Dp8006 Initiate Member

Ok thank you for the advice

4. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Like old said, you don't need to move the water over. However, i like to move as much water as possible. Check your tank ph and tap ph as well as gh and kh. If they're different, replacing 100% of the water can shock them and you'd need to acclimate them. If they're the same (i acclimate anyways) you can transfer them.