40 Gallon Tank Rescape: Going Dirted

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnamoondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dave and I decided we wanted to change our substrate which had become a mix of dark something or another under sand under flourite red and we were sick of it. We wanted to go dirted and have a nice gravel mix so it is safe and clean for the new stock and so the plants can flourish. So I special ordered some gravel from our LFS (could not find what we wanted anywhere!), got a bag of organic potting soil, and went to work. We took pictures throughout the process and are making a little video as well. Just thought I'd share.

Before:

100_5535.jpg
(Liked the looks but not the substrate)

Emptied old water (to reuse) into a 12 gallon tote along with the driftwood and plants.

100_5540.jpg

100_5541.jpg

Halfway empty:

100_5545.jpg

I put all the livestock in their own tote and ran a heater, air wand and canister filter.

100_5547.jpg

Added dirt layer then gravel. Filled/emptied tank 2x before adding final water.

100_5551.jpg

Sorted the plants with "my help":

100_5561.jpg

100_5564.jpg

Couldn't have done this without Python!
(Still a bit messy)

100_5567.jpg

Added the plants and presto! (A bit more than that but the video shows more)...

5643.jpg
It's still a bit cloudy, but I'm sure it'll clear up. More to come as I monitor the growth now that it's dirted. Yay!

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nice! What special order gravel are you using? and is your help for hire I love the look on the grey one! Reminds me of that ultimate tease dog
[video=youtube;nGeKSiCQkPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw&feature=aso[/video]

midnamoondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh, he's so cute! That dog looks a lot like my dog Zoe (on the bed). The gravel is Estes' SpectraStone - Deep River Regular. It's fairly small in diameter, and we used almost all of two 25 lb. bags. We also used Harvest Organic potting soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 42 63.6%

Top Bottom