40 Gallon Tank Rescape: Going Dirted

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by midnamoondog, Nov 24, 2012.

1. midnamoondogWell Known MemberMember

Dave and I decided we wanted to change our substrate which had become a mix of dark something or another under sand under flourite red and we were sick of it. We wanted to go dirted and have a nice gravel mix so it is safe and clean for the new stock and so the plants can flourish. So I special ordered some gravel from our LFS (could not find what we wanted anywhere!), got a bag of organic potting soil, and went to work. We took pictures throughout the process and are making a little video as well. Just thought I'd share. :;hi1

Before:

100_5535.jpg
    (Liked the looks but not the substrate)

Emptied old water (to reuse) into a 12 gallon tote along with the driftwood and plants.

100_5540.jpg

100_5541.jpg

Halfway empty:

100_5545.jpg

I put all the livestock in their own tote and ran a heater, air wand and canister filter.

100_5547.jpg

Added dirt layer then gravel. Filled/emptied tank 2x before adding final water.

100_5551.jpg

Sorted the plants with "my help":

100_5561.jpg

100_5564.jpg

Couldn't have done this without Python!
    (Still a bit messy)

100_5567.jpg

Added the plants and presto! (A bit more than that but the video shows more)...

5643.jpg
    It's still a bit cloudy, but I'm sure it'll clear up. More to come as I monitor the growth now that it's dirted. Yay!

2. ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

Nice! What special order gravel are you using? and is your help for hire :D I love the look on the grey one! Reminds me of that ultimate tease dog
    [video=youtube;nGeKSiCQkPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw&feature=aso[/video]

3. midnamoondogWell Known MemberMember

Oh, he's so cute! That dog looks a lot like my dog Zoe (on the bed). The gravel is Estes' SpectraStone - Deep River Regular. It's fairly small in diameter, and we used almost all of two 25 lb. bags. We also used Harvest Organic potting soil.