40 Gallon tank...How many fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ilovemynewfish, Dec 12, 2012.

1. ilovemynewfish

ilovemynewfish New Member Member

My tank right now has 10 fish (4 BAs, 4 neons, 1 Siamese Algae eater, and the new small eartheater!) I wanted to eventually add some small tetras (saw some at a store yesterday, very colourful and small). How many more fish could I have? Or snails? Or shrimp? Or anything else you could recommend? Thanks!!
    Btw...My siamese algae eater is being really agressive. I threw a sinking veg tablet in there for him, and a BA tried to take a bite and he snapped a few times. I understand that..but he is still going around biting/hitting anyone that he passes.
    Thanks!

2. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

A good bit more in a 40 gallon, I recommend cardinal tetras I find they color up really nice and can school with neons I believe, You should add in fish slowly to let the biological filter build up to deal with the new bio load from increasing the fish count, what substrate do you use? corydoras catfish are nice peaceful fish too

3. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

This may help you calm your siamese down:  

Seems they prefer company, so he may just be a bully because he's flying solo.

4. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

Just realize that siamese algae eaters are aggressive in nature. For a community tank otos would be a better choice

5. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Just to clarify, the exact number of fish isn't what's important, as it depends on the type of fish. You could keep a ton of neons in there, but just two goldfish would be too much. You have to consider activity level (if they need a lot of space to swim around), bioload (how much waste they produce), and how friendly or aggressive towards other fish they are. :)

6. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Also how often you intend on doing water changes will affect your fish choices, the more the better

7. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Your choices will depend on the fish's bioload, size, and attitude, and the same for your current stock. IDing the exact tetra would go a long way.

First off, what does BA stand for?

Second, I don't know about Siamese Algae Eater, but can you post a pic? I fear you may have ended up with a Chinese Algae Eater instead, which gets VERY nasty as it ages.

8. OP
    OP
    ilovemynewfish

ilovemynewfish New Member Member

BA stands for Buenos Aires (since I don't think I spelled it right I just shortened it!) I posted a pic in an earlier thread!! Not sure how to direct you to it...still new on this site. Okay, wow, thanks for the info! Another question you might help me with! I have a new fish, and she enjoys feeding off the rocks and etc, but whenever I throw flakes in she does go along to the top to try to get some. The other fish aren't mean to her, but I think she gets intimidated by the other guys grabbing food that she turns around and goes to the bottom. I put some flakes in on the end of the tank where the filter is, the bubbles blew the flakes down. She was doing great grabbing them! Until the BA's came and quickly gobbled everything up as soon as she started to go for one. And there's no way they were hungry!! Bullying??

9. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Doesn't really sound like bullying to me, just sounds like voracious eaters and a shyer fish. :) I hold a pinch of pellets under the surface so they sink, so that my less assertive fish get plenty to eat too. Also, many not-algae-eaters pick at rocks and plants and stuff, my platies do all the time.

10. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Pinches of sinking pellets may be the answer.
    Quite a few fish will grab anything they can; not exactly bullying....they're just greedy or used to not getting much. What kind is your new one?

The first thing I would do is familiarize yourself with the nitrogen cycle and cycling your tank, and get a good LIQUID test kit (we usually recommend the API Master Kit). Make sure your tank is cycled - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, more than 0 nitrates. Then you can safely think about adding new guys. I would recommend increasing your schools of glowlight and neon tetras to at least the recommended 5, and possibly ditching the algae eater.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice