40 gallon tank (fancy goldfish stocking info wanted)

JChoh

In a weeks time I’ll be going out to fill an only fancy goldfish in my new tank that I’ll cycle soon. The tank is 30in L x 22in H x 12in W. I’m wondering what’s the minimum or maximum amount of fancy goldfish, more specificity the common fantail, without any other tank mates.

CrackerboxPalace

Personally I would stock no more than 3. If the tank will be heavily decorated and have less swimming space then just go with a pair. Make sure your filter has a very high turnover rate, you probably already know how messy goldfish are.

Upvote 0

Papasmerf73

2-3.You already know how big they will get. I would personally only put 2 or upgrade to a 55 for 3.

Upvote 0

JChoh

Is it better to just do a only 3 fancy goldfish tank in a 40 gallon, or add some bottom dwelling fish. Danios are a consider option, but I'm mixed how well they actually pass by with goldfish, since I've heard they can nip.

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

Any more than 3 fancy goldfish is pushing it IMO. You could add some mystery snails but I wouldn't put any more fish it'd be far from ideal.

Upvote 0

JChoh

Any more than 3 fancy goldfish is pushing it IMO. You could add some mystery snails but I wouldn't put any more fish it'd be far from ideal.
Yes, I know three goldfish is the maximum my tank can hold. That’s why I want to do a three only or two with some cold water bottom or top fish, I just wanna know the other options if I get two goldfish.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

There are some corys that will be comfortable at the temp comfortable for goldfish. I love corys and in my humble opinion no tank is complete without some of these little vacuum cleaners. I would be comfortable adding 6 or even 8 with 2 fancy goldfish in a 40 gallon tank. .

Upvote 0

JChoh

There are some corys that will be comfortable at the temp comfortable for goldfish. I love corys and in my humble opinion no tank is complete without some of these little vacuum cleaners. I would be comfortable adding 6 or even 8 with 2 fancy goldfish in a 40 gallon tank. .
I’ve heard if the goldfish gets big enough they might accidentally gulp the smaller corys while eating pellets and the barbs can cause problems. If you think it’s unlikely what types of corys do you think can fit in cold water?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Fancy goldfish shouldn't get big enough to do that. Albino or bronze will be comfortable at about 72. My biggest females are about 2.5 inches long. The males are smaller. Should you choose this species I would just get 5 or 6 of them.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

To answer your question above I also recommend 2-3 Goldies with your tank footprint like some of the other members suggested. I also agree with mattgirl that you could add a school of Corydoras with 2 fantail Goldfish provided you have a very powerful filter rated for larger tanks or a filter with at least a 5x but preferably higher tank size turnover rate every hour (200 gph).

Option One: 3 Fantail Goldfish by themselves with the really good filtration and a good maintanence schedule above. However, water changes are key and harmful compounds can build up quicker with three fantails. Just keep that in mind.

Option Two: 2 Fantail Goldfish and a small school of one of the larger species of corydoras like what mattgirl suggested also with really good filtration and a good maintenance schedule.

Option Three: 2 Fantail Goldfish by themselves. A much safer option in case you accidentally forget your weekly maintenance or are away from home more often. Using a powerful filter would also be beneficial in this case as well.

Upvote 0

JChoh

To answer your question above I also recommend 2-3 Goldies with your tank footprint like some of the other members suggested. I also agree with mattgirl that you could add a school of Corydoras with 2 fantail Goldfish provided you have a very powerful filter rated for larger tanks or a filter with at least a 5x but preferably higher tank size turnover rate every hour (200 gph).

Option One: 3 Fantail Goldfish by themselves with the really good filtration and a good maintanence schedule above. However, water changes are key and harmful compounds can build up quicker with three fantails. Just keep that in mind.

Option Two: 2 Fantail Goldfish and a small school of one of the larger species of corydoras like what mattgirl suggested also with really good filtration and a good maintenance schedule.

Option Three: 2 Fantail Goldfish by themselves. A much safer option in case you accidentally forget your weekly maintenance or are away from home more often. Using a powerful filter would also be beneficial in this case as well.
Thank you for wonderful description for the varieties goldfish stocking options I can do I’ve already gotten two fan tails.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
andy305mia
Replies
Views
Anders247
  • Question
Replies
Views